Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summer reading

Feeling good and energetic today!  I'll chalk it up to my morning jog -- nothing like looking at the clock at 6:30 and knowing you've already squeezed in a half hour workout.  Helloooooooo, summer!  Barely two days into the season of vacations, and my reading list is already five books deep.  On it so far, we have:

1. I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence, by Amy Sedaris - one of my best friends gave me this as an early birthday gift recently and I can't stop reading it/laughing out loud hysterically.  In fact, I laughed reading the book jacket, where this advice was given: "Put loose marbles in your medicine cabinet to alert you to any nosy guests."  I love this book because it's not a typical cover-to-cover read, but rather a pick-it-up-wherever-you-like kind of book that has made itself at home on my coffee table.  Since this was such a success, Sedaris came out with another book entitled, "Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People." 

2. The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak - the current pick for my office's book club.  It's gotten fantastic reviews, so I have high hopes for it.

3. Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen - though I'm not a passionate Jane Austen fan, I do enjoy the stories (and movie adaptations of them, hello Pride and Prejudice).  My mom and I watched a little of the movie version of this on Saturday, and I'm hooked.

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by J. K. Rowling - this is a reread, hopefully to be finished before July 15th when the final movie arrives in theaters.  I usually try to avoid reading the book  too close to seeing the movie because I spend the better part of the film thinking, "But they left this part out!  And that detail, too.  How could they?  Pfffffff!"  However, this is the end of the whole Harry Potter series, so I'm throwing caution to the wind and breaking all the rules :)  Last night I logged a good 50 pages before I started dozing off.


What's on your summer reading list?  Are you a vacations-only reader or do you find time during lunch breaks or on regular weeknights at home? 

One Year Ago: Homemade breakfast sandwiches

No comments:

Post a Comment