Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Easy microwave egg & cheese breakfast sandwiches

 
After succumbing to laziness, sore muscles, and a serious lack of sleep on Monday morning and skipping my run, my sneaks and I returned to glory this morning.  Two miles, though they were a little slower than usual.  Hey, it's the thought that counts, right?  After a good shower, I needed a breakfast that counted for some serious nutrition for my morning: a breakfast sandwich.  And no, I didn't run back out to the Einstein's Bagels, Panera Bread, or even Wendy's just down the street from me.  I whipped up my protein packed meal in my own kitchen.  Remember that breakfast panini that I got last year sometime? "This is so much better than that!"  And no, I can't think of a better way to start your day than by watching a clip like that :)


Breakfast sandwich

1. Coat small (cereal size will do) microwave-safe bowl in nonstick spray

2. Crack and gently whisk one egg in bowl, just enough to mix yolk and white.

3. Season with salt and pepper, if you like.  "Nuke" egg in bowl for roughly 1 minute (if you have a super strong microwave, it may be closer to 50 seconds).  While it's microwaving, toast two slices of bread, a bagel, or a sandwich thin (what I used).

4. Remove egg (it should slide right out of the bowl) onto one side of whatever you've toasted.  Add a slice of your favorite cheese, I used cheddar, but American or any other kind will do.

5. Add some spinach or maybe a slice of tomato or two, if you like.  Top with other half of sandwich thin and take a second to admire the beauty of what you've just created... and hey, it's only 7:15!  Imagine what you can do the rest of the day.  Oh goodness, look at that cheese oozing out and the crunch of the bread and the spinach.  Yum!

Bonus -- you've only dirtied three items: the egg bowl, a fork, and your final plate.  Double that if you had settled for a much more time-consuming omelet.  Happy hump day!

1 comment:

  1. This is SO easy and so yummy looking. Thank you! I promise I will do exactly this on the next morning when my nausea level is 3 or below!...(or more likely I will make this for dinner)

    ReplyDelete