Friday, March 15, 2013

Friday Five: Lucky lady

News flash -- I've skipped town.  I'm headed to Vegas, baby!

Last night I flew from Pittsburgh to LA to meet up with my old college roommate, and we've got quite the weekend planned.  We're driving to Vegas this afternoon and spending 48 hours... well, eating, drinking, and being merry!

To be honest, we aren't big drinkers or gamblers, but we have pleeeeeeeeeeenty of fun things on the agenda to keep us entertained.  And I use the word "agenda" loosely.  I'm attempting to kick back and let this weekend be a real vacation without rules, obligations, or guilt.  That being said, here is this week's edition of Friday Five with a few of the ways we plan to indulge ourselves silly in Las Vegas :)

1. The Fountains at the Bellagio Hotel - If that image looks familiar, it's because it's a screen shot of the scene at the end of the movie Ocean's 11.  Since the first time I saw that movie, I've wanted to visit the fountains in front of the Bellagio.  Our hotel is close to it, so we're hoping to sit back and "ooh" and "ahh" at a show our very first night in town. I have a feeling we may return for an encore (or five).


2. Koi - It was nearly three years ago when I visited Rachel in LA that I first tried and fell in love with sushi.  So, it's fitting that one of our two planned meals in Vegas will be at the renowned sushi restaurant Koi.  There is also an LA location that we've never made it to, so we're super excited to channel our inner high rollers and treat ourselves to the freshest sushi.  My mouth is already watering just thinking about an eel roll!

3. Ka - One of Cirque du Soleil's newest shows that's also the first with an accompanying story.  I've never seen a Cirque show before.  When I started mentioning to friends that I was heading to Vegas, nearly ever one of them implored that we get tickets to see anything by Cirque du Soleil.  I was absolutely mesmerized watching Pink's acrobatics at a concert a few years ago, so I imagine this will blow me away!

4. The Venetian Hotel (and ceiling) - One thing I've learned in my pre-trip research is that the hotels in Vegas aren't simply towers of rooms with beds and bathrooms -- they are luxurious resorts with spas, world-famous landmarks (i.e. Eiffel Tower and Statue of Liberty!), rollercoasters, and mock European destinations!  My dad frequently visits Las Vegas for business and has stayed in many of the hotels but insists The Venetian is his absolute favorite.  He has raved about the indoor canals, gondola rides, and the picturesque sky-blue ceiling... I can't even!!  Until Matt and I make it to the real Venice, you can bet I'm going to enjoy this.

5. Max Brenner's restaurant - Dinner here was the very first thing we planned after our trip to Vegas became a reality.  We had such a fantastic time when we visited the New York City location a few years ago and have been itching to return to one ever since.  I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that we've spent the last three weeks texting back and forth about what dessert(s) we'll order.  The smell of chocolate everywhere, waffle fries dusted with chili and cocoa powders (!), a dessert menu a mile long, and a chocolate shop that puts all others to shame.  I can't think of a better and more indulgent way to begin our stay in Vegas!

Who knows what the rest of the weekend will hold, but I know it's going to be a blast!  I can't wait to share pictures and highlights with you next week.  Until then, happy Friday, happy weekend, and an early happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone!  Click here for some Irish-themed recipes to feed your inner Irishman or woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment