Friday, March 8, 2013

Fast Friday: Peanut butter hot chocolate


Friday already!  This week has zipped by so quickly.  I hope it's been stress- and pain-free for all of you!  Say goodbye to the office and head into a weekend filled with fun and magical things, like movies.  I am so pumped to see Oz The Great and Powerful, and think I might easily be able to convince Matt to join me.

I've got good news to report!  It's been almost 2 weeks since I took a tumble and landed on my rump, and I'm feeling a little better every day.  Hooray!  Life is almost back to normal.

Thankfully, most of the intense discomfort subsided after the first five days.  I've since returned to the gym, and light workouts (even some jogging) are going well without any consequences.  At this moment, my list of limitations is rather short: no sitting down quickly onto hard surfaces, exercises that target the glutes, and sneezing.  Have you ever realized how powerful a sneeze could be?  Yikes!

But(t), last week at this time, I was so bored.  With post-work exercising curbed, I was looking for ways to occupy my time.  I scrapbooked, crafted, caught up on TV, used my shiny new vacuum cleaner a little too much, ironed clothes, and stared at the wall.  Still, I wondered what else I could do.

Why, organize the food pantry and make peanut butter hot chocolate, of course!

Too many of our snack foods had migrated to the bottom (and most accessible) shelf, and I wanted to change that ASAP.  Especially since, at the time, I had no idea how long I would be abstaining from exercise.

I also wanted a delicious warm beverage to enjoy as a reward to myself for banishing said snack foods out of arm's reach.  Solid logic, right?

The before:


The after:


Healthy snacks and good food stuffs on the bottom shelf, canned and dried goods that require cooking on the middle shelf, and cereal and snacks on the highest shelf.  Heart smart organization!

I credit the protein in the peanut butter for the creative boost. And the chocolate. And sugar. And ooey gooey marshmallow.  Oh!  And the calcium in the milk. Calcium is great for building and healing strong bones!  Win win.

So decadent.  So rich.  So smooth.  So magical!  So gosh darn satisfying.  Like a liquid Reese's cup.  Is there anything better than the heavenly combination of chocolate and peanut butter?

Get it.  Now.  You know you want to.  And happy weekend!


One year ago: Mushroom and spinach quiche
Two years ago: Scrambled eggs with guacamole
Three years ago: Chocolate cake doughnuts


Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
(adapted from Jenna's recipe)
-serves 1

1 cup milk
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (can be omitted)

In a small saucepan over medium low heat, whisk together milk, cocoa, sugar, and vanilla while bringing to a simmer.  Once warm, whisk in peanut butter until no clumps remain.  Top with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, or chopped peanuts, if desired.  Enjoy (and smile) immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment