Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Oreo cream pie


Remember that time I told you there'd be a recipe for a Oreo cream pie on the blog last week?  Oops.

Let's say this Oreo cream pie and I are fashionably late.  With our oversized sunglasses, just blown-out tresses, and Louis Vuitton handbags dangling haphazardly from our arms.  Typical Hollywood behavior, y'all.

Which is totally fitting since this was the star of our Oscars party.

And, just like a celebrity to a party, it was late to arrive and the first one to leave.  Us gals in our finest sweatpants and sweatshirts totally devoured this dessert!

However, unlike those west coast divas, this pie requires no stress, no fuss, no team of stylists, and no baking!

Crunchy chocolatey crust supporting a smooth vanilla pudding center chock full of crushed cookies topped with fluffy whipped topping and even more Oreos. 

Five simple ingredients, one spatula, and one bowl.  It doesn't get any easier than this.  Unless you had someone else make the pie for you and then showed up to simply enjoy a big ol' slice of it.

To be clear, that's what our friends did... and I love every one of them for it!  Few things make me happier than people who love and enjoy my treats.  That's why I make them, after all.

I mean, I could also make this pie for an audience of one, but I'm a sharer.  And I don't think that'd be a wise decision.  I could easily down this entire pie.  It's delicious and sinful and all things glorious in the universe.  But, it's all of that (all the things!) without being the least bit heavy.  Go figure!

Speaking of figures, could you imagine any actress eating a slice of pie during award show season let alone a few hours before strutting the red carpet?  I'm convinced they dine on ice chips and dust sandwiches.  Scratch the bread from the sandwiches because, you know, carbs are bad.

If there were any actress who would eat an Oreo cream pie, my money is on Jennifer Lawrence.  Girl doesn't give a kitty what you or anyone else thinks.  She's just so darn cool and is the total opposite of a diva.  And she's not afraid to admit she's starving

Have some pie, J. Law.  It'll do ya good.  We even saved you a piece.  (FYI, we didn't even save Meryl a piece.)


One year ago: Mini corn dog muffins
Two years ago: Orange brown sugar chicken (Chinese take-out fake-out)
Three years ago: The best macaroni and cheese ever; Baked zucchini chips


Oreo Pudding Pie
(adapted slightly from Kraft's recipe)
-serves 8

A few notes: I used two packages of vanilla pudding because I couldn't find Jell-O Oreo flavor instant pudding in my local Target or Giant Eagle.  If you can, however, feel free to use it and omit the crushed cookies from the filling portion of the pie... or don't, because there can never be too many Oreos.  Just my humble opinion

2 (3.4 ounce) packages vanilla instant pudding
2 1/2 cups cold milk (I used 2%)
1 tub (8 ounces) whipped topping, thawed and divided
1 prepared Oreo Pie Crust (6 ounces)
15 + 5 Oreo cookies
 
Cut 5 Oreos in half and set aside.  In the bowl of a food processor, grind 15 Oreos until mixture resembles very coarse crumbs -- some big pieces are a-okay! -- and set aside.  In a large bowl, beat pudding mixes and milk with whisk for 2 minutes.  Fold in half of whipped topping.  Pour pudding mixture into crust and refrigerate for 4 hours.

Top pudding pie with remaining whipped topping, spreading to edges and smoothing as necessary.  Add
Oreo halves to garnish.  Serve and enjoy!  Pie can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment