Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Scrambled eggs with guacamole & tomatoes


Finally!  No, it's not Friday, but I get to share my most favorite meal of the week with you and it's only Tuesday.  Last night I had the most-anticipated dinner of my dinners for one this week: breakfast for dinner.  This is just one of the many perks of planning meals for the week -- you get to look forward to the delicious dishes made in your very own kitchen!  Specifically, homemade guacamole over scrambled eggs with toast on the side (inspired by the lovely IowaGirlEats.  Thank you!).

This protein-packed meal would've been a great refueling meal after a grueling workout.  But, the gym is closed this week on account of Pitt's spring break.  So, forget that workout.  Instead, that protein served as a brain boost for the rest of my evening's activities (i.e. laundry and The Bachelor Women Tell All Special... once again, I know).

Right off the bat, I was giddy with excitement over how colorful this meal was!  A minute into prep, and I had a bowl of slightly-off-but-still-enough-to-count Christmas-y colored guacamole.  Creamy avocados and bright juicy sweet tomatoes.

You know, the only setback of this meal was that my avocados were a little too ripe (that's what happens when you sit them next to five apples... d'oh!), so I missed out on that bright neon shade of yellow-green.  I suppose I'll have to try, try again until the color is just right.  Oh the things I'd do to achieve perfection, ha! Regardless, the guac was absolutely delicious and had me missing my favorite LA restaurant.

Once the topping was mixed and covered temporarily to prevent further browning, I whipped up two whole eggs and one egg white.  While the eggs were cooking, I toasted half of a ciabatta roll (yum!) and topped with grape jelly.  Within ten minutes, I had breakfast dinner brinner ready to devour.

The ciabatta roll really surprised me.  I need one for a recipe later this week and the bakery packaged two rolls together, so I deviated from my original idea of toast.  The ciabatta was chewy with air pockets throughout and crunchy on top, slathered with sweet grape jelly.  I don't care what anyone tries to tell me -- grape is the only flavor of jelly for me. 

And the combination of guacamole and eggs.  When I first saw it, I definitely tilted my head and thought, "Huh, that's different."  But, don't knock it until you try it, people.  The warmth from the eggs made the avocados so incredibly smooth and creamy, and every forkful just melted in my mouth.  Bland eggs no more!  The flavors from the lime juice and garlic and tomatoes sent this dinner to a whole new level. 

Another great new meal.  I'm two for two so far.  Can I keep it going?  Though, I've got a confession to make.  This may not count as solo dinner, since the smell of scrambled eggs attracted a pint-sized companion:


Homemade Guacamole

A few notes: If you're unfamiliar with how to cut, pit, and generally prepare an avocado, check out this great video tutorial.  And, just for the record, those fancy avocado pitters sold by kitchen supply stores are a total waste. I prefer to use a large knife and a regular teaspoon instead of a very specific and rarely used utensil.  No joke, I've had one for 5 years and used it once and found it was too much hassel :)  And, of course, easily multiply this for more than one serving.

1 ripe avocado, pitted and skins removed
1 Tablespoon lime or lemon juice
1/2 stem tomato (or 5 cherry tomatoes), seeded and chopped
Garlic salt
Ground black pepper

In a medium bowl, mash avocado with citrus juice and mix evenly.  Stir in tomatoes and season to taste.  Just that easy.

Though I don't recommend storing for too long, hence making smaller proportions, if you must, here's a trick -- put guacamole in a plastic container and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the guacamole (think the method for avoiding pudding skin).  It'll prevent too much browning from occurring, though some is inevitable.  Cover with lid and store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment