Monday, July 30, 2012

Blueberry muffin oatmeal


Sometimes I don't know what to write about.

I think back to what I've cooked recently and none of it seems to qualify as "blog-worthy."  In fact, most things I cook are downright uneventful.  I expect the food to be good, the food is good, and I eat it.  Meal's done and the case is closed.

So, I wrack my brain for something I can show you that will totally blow your mind.  Something that will have you wondering how you ever lived without it in your daily menu.  Something that has never been done before... ever... and must be introduced with a dozen trumpets' fanfare.

Because, gosh, you don't want to hear about normal things I eat day in and day out, right?

Or maybe you do.  And maybe I want to tell you about them.

Because these are my very favorite things.  The things I make time and time again because I don't need a recipe or 7 prep bowls.  (I blame you, Food Network, for getting me hooked on the multitudes of prep bowls.)

My favorite dishes are ones I can make while catching up with a friend on the phone because I know the prep better than the back of my hand.

I can simultaneously curse that fellow who didn't call you back while scooping out oatmeal raisin cookies.
 
I can tell you to shut up, but not actually shut up, four times after you tell me someone sent a text message as a wedding invitation while I make coconut chicken for dinner. 

I can even make breakfast in a hurry with one hand and pack my lunch with the other.  Because, yes, it was imperative that I went to bed early the previous night and didn't do the latter.  And, of course, I simply had to get up late and run that extra mile knowing I'd be rushing to get to work on time anyway.  No big deal.

Seriously, I didn't sweat it for one second because breakfast was a no brainer.  One saucepan and that's it.  Oatmeal is my all-time favorite breakfast.  The oats fill me up without filling me out until lunchtime.  I just love what a bursting blueberry does for the color of my breakfast oatmeal.  Topped with the brown sugar and salty smidgen of butter on top, you'd think you're digging into a pan of freshly baked blueberry muffins.

And that sneaky egg white added protein without any hint of its existence in the final dish.  I've tricked many folks (i.e. husband, parent, sibling) by adding a little something extra to their morning oatmeal.  Combined with the milk, the oatmeal is so creamy and dreamy that you'd swear it's loaded with cream voodoo.  Protein gives a breakfast real stick-to-your-ribs staying power.

Enough staying power to give me something to write about and you something to make for breakfast.  Ordinary oatmeal that's not so ordinary after all.  Who would've thunk it? 


One year ago: Chicken gyros
Two years ago: Corn cakes with goat cheese


Blueberry Muffin Oatmeal
-serves 1

A quick note: I prefer using half milk and half water to make my oatmeal creamier and heartier, but feel free to use all water if you like.

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup milk
1 egg white
Dash vanilla extract
1/2 Tablespoon salted butter or butter spread
1/2 cup blueberries
1 teaspoon brown sugar.

In a small saucepan over low heat, cook oats, 1/2 cup water, milk, and vanilla over medium low heat.  Stirring occasionally, bring oatmeal to a simmer and allow to bubble gently while stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, until mixture thickens but is still smooth.

When oatmeal is to desired thickness (everyone has a different preference), quickly add egg white to mixture.  Stir vigorously to incorporate egg white into entire oatmeal mixture.  Continue stirring for 1 to 2 minutes until egg white is well blended and cooked.

Add blueberries and stir gently to incorporate.  Remove saucepan from heat and add butter, folding until melted and blended.  Pour oatmeal mixture into bowl, top with brown sugar, and serve immediately for a sweet and hearty breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment