Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The all-American breakfast sandwich

Remember when I teased almost a week ago about the ultimate breakfast sandwich?  At last, here it is, ladies and gentlemen.  I'm going to skip the lengthy introduction and get right to it since I know anything I say will be read as "blah blah blah."  Don't worry, I'm not offended because I don't want to hear what I have to say either :)

At last, here it is, folks: the doughnut breakfast sandwich!


What you see was the product of vacation brain, food television, and great love of America.

I bet if there were a Behind the Scenes of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, we'd see this line tossed around: "Give me liberty and give me doughnuts and bacon!"  Or something like that, anyway.

I've had the idea to create a sweet and savory breakfast sandwich for quite a while.  A careful balance of just enough salt with the right touch of sugar ad, you know, not setting one back 1,500 calories for enjoying a lovely breakfast.  A certain southern someone created a version with two doughnuts, sausage, egg, bacon, and cheese.  Can we say a little too much?

So, this totally awesome and updated version is just the ticket!  Start by cutting a traditional glazed doughnut into equal halves.  And, like you would with your favorite grilled cheese, toast the unglazed sides.  You can use butter, but I used nonstick cooking spray with great results.

Place the cooked scrambled egg (cooked like this) atop one half of the doughnut, and promptly top with cheddar cheese so it can ooze and melt (your heart).  But really, any cheese would do.  Pepperjack for a kick, Parmesan or Gruyere for a nutty flavor, even smooth mozzarella or provolone.  Cheese freedom for all!

Add three strips of bacon.  Again, I used microwavable because that's what my parents had on hand and it was pretty darn convenient.  Not as tasty as fresh bacon, but I forgot/didn't feel like going out again.  Vacation brain is a hazardous thing, people.

But bacon is still bacon.  Not kosher in all its piggy glory.

Topped with the remaining doughnut half and t... oops.  Take some pictures, many pictures.  Or completely lose yourself and dig into this breakfast sandwich like I did.  In my defense, I was making breakfast sandwiches for my entire family and couldn't stand the idea of cooking 5 of them without first tasting one for myself.  I'm one selfish American.

Before you start calling me Paula and worrying about the potential calorie bomb, let me hit you with some knowledge.  This sandwich clocks in at under 500 calories!  I couldn't believe it either when I did the math, but numbers don't lie, folks:
  • Glazed donut from Dunkin' Donuts: 260 calories
  • 1 large egg, scrambled: 70 calories
  • 1 slice sharp cheddar cheese: 80 calories
  • 3 strips microwaveable bacon: 53 calories
That brings the grand total to 463 calories.  That's it!  Plus, packed with 20 grams of protein (again, color me shocked), this breakfast sandwich will actually keep you full and satisfied until lunch.

But enough defending this sandwich.  Did it live up to the hype of the quintessential all-American breakfast?

 

The proof is in the pictures.  Look at how happy Matt was digging into this on Independence Day morning.  I wish I had audio recordings of what was uttered during the consumption of said sandwich.  Phrases like "That's what I'm talkin' about!" and "Oh, sh-- yeah!" came out of his mouth but only between bites of salty sweet doughnut and bacon goodness.  I couldn't agree more.  A perfect 10.  Just do it.  It's the American way!


One year ago: Watermelon, arugula and goat cheese salad with balsamic glaze
Two years ago: Cheesy chicken and bean enchiladas

No comments:

Post a Comment