Thursday, July 26, 2012

Fig & prosciutto grilled cheese

Whenever the cat's away, the mice will play.  Ever heard that saying?  Well,  I've got a better one for you.

Whenever the husband is away, the wife will eat whatever she wants.

That's right.  Matt is gone for the week visiting his folks, and I've been celebrating what I've deemed "Katy's birthday week of fun."  Massages, shopping, running early in the morning, and redeeming loads (and loads) of freebie birthday coupons have occupied my days and nights.  But the real treat has been eating whatever I want, whenever I want without minding another person's culinary needs and preferences.

Matt is the least picky eater I know, but there are still foods that he's not crazy about.  Though I know he'd eat them without a single complaint, I try to avoid serving them or plan an alternative for him if I'm really craving something.  Steamed broccoli for her, always raw broccoli for him.

However, this week has been all about my taste buds!  For example, on Tuesday, my breakfast (inspired by Iowa Girl Eats) consisted of half of a cantaloupe, cottage cheese in the edible bowl, all topped with a heaping pile of blueberries and almonds.  Husband-friendly it is not, but delicious and satisfying it definitely was.

Sunday's dinner was quite possibly my favorite salad of all time: arugula with goat cheese, watermelon and balsamic reduction.  Sweet summer goodness, you've gotta try this if you haven't already.

And last night's dinner was certainly the highlight of my kitchen creations so far this week.  I intentionally delayed it as long as possible because I knew it would be epic.  Mind-blowing.  Life-changing.  It was all of those things and more.  I give you the grilled fig, prosciutto, and mozzarella sandwich:


Holy heavenly sandwich!

I'd always heard of the decadent combination of figs and proscuitto and, once again, that salty sweet combination haunted my dreams.  Why not add some ingredients and make it a meal fit for a queen?

A queen who, you know, is cool enough that she will eat her meal in handheld form.  This queen is in touch with her kingdom, you see.

Nothing makes fancy food more approachable than putting it between two slices of buttered, grilled bread.  For those of you new to this stuff, let me give you the lowdown.

Figs are the super sweet fruit of a tall deciduous tree native to the Middle East.  They are loaded with calcium and fiber, and can be eaten fresh or dried and eaten later.  If you've never had one, you've gotta give figs a try.  I swear they are sweeter than candy, and you know how I love candy.

Prosciutto, on the other hand, is a salty dry-cured ham originating in Italy that is thinly sliced so that it practically melts in your mouth.  I had it earlier this week wrapped around wedges of cantaloupe for dinner.  To die for, I'm telling you.

Put 'em together with the meltiest (technical term) cheese out there and get ready to jump for joy.

One of many signs that this sandwich was going to be good might have been that I was legitimately sprinting between the kitchen and dining room in order to snap pictures of the finished product so I could dig in.  All business.

"But, if I slice it on the cutting board, maybe I should take a bi-- noooooooooo!"

Thank goodness all three shots I took turned out well because I went in for the kill and didn't look back once.

Crispy buttery bread hugging salty prosciutto and sweet dried figs, all held in place by oozing mozzarella cheese.  Could this sandwich be any better?  I don't think so, Chandler Bing!  I don't think so.  This was one of those close-your-eyes kind of meals.  Savor every bite.  Would you believe I made that sandwich last almost 20 minutes?  I didn't want it to end.

And now that the sandwich is behind me in my stomach, I can only think of two things.  First, I miss Matt and am thankful he's coming home on Friday - hooray!  Second, Matt goes away again next weekend, and I plan to make this sandwich then, too.


One year ago: Tomato and corn pie


Grilled Fig, Proscuitto and Mozzarella Sandwich
-makes 1

One quick note: Mozzarella was totally the bomb in this sandwich, but I wouldn't hesitate to experiment with other cheeses in the future.  Brie or even gruyere would be fabulous!

2 slices bread of choice or a sandwich roll
Softened butter
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (slices work well, too)
1 ounce thinly sliced proscuitto
6-7 dried figs, pressed flat and cut in half lengthwise

Preheat griddle or nonstick skillet over medium.  Spread butter over one side of each slice of bread.  For each sandwich, place one slice of bread, butter side down in skillet.  Top with mozzarella, figs, and prosciutto.  Pace an additional slice of bread on top, butter side up, making a sandwich.

Cook in skillet or on griddle over medium heat until both sides are toasted golden brown and the cheese is melted.  Careful flipping so the glorious filling doesn't fall out.  Enjoy with a simple spinach and tomato salad with balsamic dressing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment