Friday, November 15, 2013

Friday Five: Pre-turkey amusement

It's been one heck of a week, hasn't it?  I feel like every last hour has been devoted to this, that, and the other thing, leaving me only a few idle moments to be spontaneous.  I enjoyed those moments the best way I knew how: gazing outside at the first snow (!) of the season and curling up on the couch to watch a little TV.  Is there a better hour of television than the New Girl/The Mindy Project block on Fox Tuesday nights?  I think not!

Despite eating breakfast standing up twice and mastering the art of the 5 minute shower (how do some women do this every day?  I salute you!), I'm feeling full of energy heading into the weekend.  After looking at the calendar, I'm hoping to maintain this Energizer Bunny feeling for the next two weeks.  We've got so much planned before the turkey even hits the table.  Here is this week's Friday Five: mega fun activities leading up to Thanksgiving!  

1. Chili after church - This weekend is Commitment Sunday, when members pledge their tithings for the next year.  After the service, everyone gathers for fellowship and a potluck to feast on chili, cornbread, and desserts.  Last year there were nearly 30 Crock Pots filled to the brim with piping hot chili of all varieties.  Can you imagine how it smelled?!  The most unique I saw was elk chili.  I'm contributing a double batch of my favorite pumpkin cornbread since it was such a hit last year.  Check out any one of my chili recipes to have a feast of your own this weekend!

2. Milkshake Mondays - On six out of the last seven Mondays, Matt, Laura and I have sampled some of the best milkshakes the city has to offer.  With our passports in tow to record every detail, we've been surprised on a few occasions by what our taste buds loved the most.  Last week, I picked The Milkshake Factory as our destination and ordered a delicious PB&J shake.  That's strawberry ice cream blended with huge scoops of peanut butter and fresh berries.  Sooooo good, you guys.  Laura's next to pick, and I can't wait to see where we land.  It's nice to have a special treat to look forward to on Mondays!

3. Meat & Potatoes - Few restaurants have gotten more hype than this place.  Incredibly, the buzz hasn't faded one bit since it opened two years ago.  I've yet to visit M&P despite it being on my list for ages but that's going to change next week.  A few girlfriends and I are heading to a show downtown and agreed we can't be in the Cultural District without stopping here for dinner first.  My mouth is watering just looking at the menu.  Can't wait!

4. Potted Potter - And this is the show!  The three of us are avid Harry Potter fans, so when my friend got word of this show coming to the city, we jumped at the opportunity to attend.  Reviews promise that we'll be laughing our butts off.  Pittsburgh locals, if you're interested in buying tickets for one of the shows, here is the link.

5. Pie baking - Thanksgiving is still two weeks away, but I know you guys want recipes, like, yesterday.  I have a few up my sleeve that I'll be sharing next week, just in time to add to your growing grocery list.  One thing I can't wait for is pie, which is why I'm experimenting with a new recipe this weekend to post next week.  Any guesses as to what kind?  Hint: It's not one of the many delicious pies I've previously shared.


Live it up this weekend!  Be spontaneous!  Whatever you do, make it memorable and fun.  Be sure to check back on Monday for a special week of new Thanksgiving recipes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment