Friday, November 8, 2013

Fast Friday: Creamy avocado pasta with peas


How's everybody feeling?  It's Friday, and I'm feelin' free!  So free that I'm going to confess a few things to you.  These are my confessions.  [Cue the Usher tunes.]

On Wednesday this week, November 6th, it was a balmy and sunny 72 degrees here in Pittsburgh.  It was lovely and nice and made for a pleasant lunchtime walk!

But...

I prefer the cooler and grayer weather of yesterday and today, at least this time of year.  My summer clothes were stashed weeks ago, and I'm totally enjoying getting reacquainted with my thick sweaters and plush scarves.

Talk of bundling up leads to my next confession.

I searched for, found, and played the Yule Log video on our TV last night.  I know, I know.  I couldn't help myself!

In my defense, I muted the TV so I couldn't hear the Christmas music -- I'm nowhere near ready for that (though Matt is another story altogether).   Now that it gets darker much earlier, I was really hankering for my parents' fireplace and had to settle for the next best thing available to me.  I curled up on the couch with a blanket and a book and enjoyed the "glow" of the "crackling" fire.

I'm just in a cozy state of mind, I suppose.  You know what goes with a cozy state of mind?  An appetite for comfort food.  Big huggable bowls, creamy sauces, and satisfying carbohydrates.  There are fewer more beautiful words in the English language.

This creamy avocado sauce comes together in less than 5 minutes and is the most luscious thing I've ever had with pasta.

Oh, speaking of creamy, I've got another confession.  While the sauce is creamy in texture, it contains no cream.  Zero!  In fact, this dish is vegetarian and vegan, as well as dairy-That's a good confession, don't you think?

Smooth and buttery avocado is blended with olive oil, fresh garlic and lemon juice, and seasonings.  Tossed with pasta and green peas, you've got one heck of a satisfying pasta dish!  The sauce coats the noodles and peas, adding such savory flavor with a slight hint of lemon for freshness.  Rich in taste but not in guilt.

Speaking of guilt, I feel so much lighter after sharing my confessions.  Thank you!  Makes the weekend seem wide open... for trouble?  Perhaps.  Rules were made to be broken, after all.

Enjoy your weekend!  If you need to confess anything, I'm here for ya.  Unless you get caught.  Then I'll swear you didn't get the idea from me and I don't even know you ;)

P.S. Be sure to enter the contest to win a brand new baking cookbook!


One year ago: Pumpkin oatmeal cookies
Two years ago: Pork chops with cranberry sauce
Three years ago: Breakfast apple granola crisp
Four years ago: Maple walnut blondies


Creamy Avocado Pasta with Peas
-makes 2 servings

A few notes: I used spaghetti but use whatever pasta shape, long or short, that you wish.  Also, this sauce should be enjoyed immediately, as it doesn't store/reheat well due to the avocado.  But that would require having leftovers, which you most definitely will not.

Salt
6-8 ounces spaghetti noodles
1 ripe avocado, pitted
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Ground black pepper
2/3 cup frozen peas, thawed

Add 6 cups of water and a generous teaspoon of salt to a large stock pot.  Bring to a boil.  Add pasta and cook according to directions on package.

Meanwhile, in the a small food chopper or large food processor, combine avocado, lemon juice, garlic, and oil.  Process until smooth.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Pulse to combine.

When pasta is cooked, drain and transfer to a large bowl.  Add peas and avocado sauce and toss to combine.  Divide between two plates and devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment