Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mt. Dew cake


When it comes to Mt. Dew, I think there are two kinds of people.  People who love it, swear by it, and would hook themselves up to an IV of it if they could.  And people who just... well, don't get what the fuss is about.

I'm of the latter mindset.  In my lifetime, I've had two sips of the sugary electric yellow drink.  The first time was in high school when friends and I were at the movies.  My friend asked if I wanted any, and I told her I'd never tried it.  From the look on her face, you could've sworn I told her I hated animals, dessert, and happiness.

(BTW, does anyone else out there take issue with folks who say they don't like animals or dessert?  To each his own, but I just don't trust people like that.  It's... weird.)

Anyway, I remember being appalled by the color of the drink and then just grossed out by the taste. Incredibly sweet, slightly citrus-y, and with a strange zip to it.  My friend was shocked and happy she could enjoy the entire 32 ounce drink without any guilt.  I was happy to remain on team Pepsi.

Over a decade later, a few things have changed.  I'm no longer on team Pepsi or even Coca-Cola.  In fact, I really don't drink pop ("soda" for those of you outside the Pittsburgh area) at all.

Also, I wouldn't consider the movie Head Over Heels worthy of full-priced theater ticket... or even a $1 Red Box rental fee.  It's just plain bad.  Freddie Prinze, Jr.'s peak was She's All That, hands down.

And, while I still wouldn't drink Mt. Dew on its own, I've finally found a good use for the stuff that I would choose again and again: cake!

Who knew that adding a can of Mt. Dew to a boxed lemon cake mix results in the most moist (say that 5 times fast) dessert?  I do and now you do, too.

Lemon is one of my all-time favorite summertime flavors because it's just so refreshing.  The texture of the cake reminded me of a pudding cake because it was just so moist and, dare I say, light.  The outer edges had a great crust, too.  A crust coated in a sweet lime glaze.  Yes, yes, and yes!

Whether you are team Mt. Dew or team "I don't get it", you're going to love this cake.  It's a big deal, nay, a huge deal!  Because if someone from the first team questions your presence on the second team, you can defend yourself with this cake and prove they can trust you.  But, if you start running around proclaiming you don't like puppies, well, I can't help you there.  You're on your own.


One year ago: Marshmallow fluff fruit dip
Two years ago: Asparagus bacon potato hash
Three years ago: World's best chocolate frosting


Mt. Dew Cake
(adapted slightly from Cookies & Cups)

1 (18.25 oz) box lemon cake
1 (12 oz) can Mountain Dew
4 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil

for glaze:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup Mountain Dew
1 teaspoon lime juice (optional)

Preheat oven to 350° F.  Coat bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, Mt. Dew, eggs, and oil.  Mix on low for 30 seconds; increase speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes.  Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Allow cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out and cooling completely on wire rack.

When cake is cooled, prepare the glaze by whisking together powdered sugar, Mt. Dew, and lime juice in a large bowl.  Stir until glaze is smooth and no lumps remain.  With cake on wire cooling rack, place a piece of wax paper underneath, so when you pour the glaze over the cake you catch the excess. Pour glaze on top of cake allowing to coat the sides of the cake.  Serve when glaze has set.

Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

2 comments:

  1. This cake looks so intriguing and delicious I have to give it a try! Amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you love Coke or Pepsi?
    ANSWER THE POLL and you could win a prepaid VISA gift card!

    ReplyDelete