Thursday, May 2, 2013

BBQ shrimp tacos


I had a plan for last night's dinner.  A plan that was laid out nearly a week ago when I channeled my future self and took educated guesses as to what I'd want to eat for the following week.  You know me and my plans -- we're likethis.

I also had plans to wake up and go to the gym before work every day this week.  But, when the alarm went off at 5:40, I swiftly got up, turned it off, and crawled back into bed... without managing to even open my eyes.  Apparently, I knew on Sunday night that I was going to be lazy this week, because I set a second alarm for 6:20, the time I wake up when I don't exercise in the morning.  I'm a sloth soothsayer!  (Say that five times fast.)

When did I become so utterly lazy?  As Matt said, "Who are you and what have you done with my wife?"

Pitt's gyms are closed this week for the customary break after the spring semester ends.  Usually, I take this opportunity to give myself a break and simply run outside when the mood strikes.  I've enjoyed long walks on my lunch break but found myself sitting on my butt after work.   The prospect of watching my beloved Barefoot Contessa on Food Network after work has just been so much more appealing than being active.

Shrug.  Plans, like rules, were meant to be flexible.  To be broken.  To be revamped and improved!  Much like last night's dinner.

The original plan was to make chipotle shrimp tacos, which probably would've been tasty.  But all I could think about when shrimp came to mind were the rockin' Korean BBQ shrimp skewers I had last week at Sonoma Grille.  So, so, so good, y'all!

A quick check of our condiment shelf in the fridge revealed that we had BBQ sauce.  And thus, BBQ shrimp tacos were mine again.

This time around, plump shrimp coated with sweet and tangy BBQ sauce were topped with cool and creamy avocado slices, fresh aromatic cilantro, and even more sauce, all cradled in homemade crispy corn shells.

Who knew that deviation and spontaneity (and laziness) could taste so delicious?  I'm afraid this kind of positive reinforcement could result in some serious changes to my character... The gym reopens next week, so I'll let you know in a few days.  TBD!


Two years ago: Chicken with garlicky spinach and cheese
Three years ago: Zucchini potato hash


BBQ Shrimp Tacos
(an original recipe!)
-serves 2-3

1 pound raw shrimp, deveined and shells removed
2 Tablespoons barbecue sauce, plus more for serving (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
1 ripe avocado, pitted and sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
6 (8-inch) corn tortillas

For hard corn taco shells, use this method.  Meanwhile, preheat grill pan or grill side of Griddler on high.  In a medium bowl, toss shrimp with barbeque sauce to coat evenly.  Coat grill pan with nonstick spray.  Arrange shrimp on grill.  Cook 2 minutes on one side, flip, and cook another 1 to 2 minutes until shrimp are opaque.  Remove and place 4-5 shrimp in each shell, top with avocado slices, cilantro and additional drizzle of barbecue sauce.  Enjoy immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment