Friday, May 10, 2013

Fast Friday: Strawberry banana protein smoothie


Being a baker, cook, and food blogger is so much fun.  For reals.  So.Much.Fun!  I'm able to create, eat, and share with you things that I enjoy and love so dearly.  So, thanks for giving me a place to do those things and for reading :)

But I feel that there are a few misconceptions I should clear up about my life as a food blogger.

First, while many think Matt is "the luckiest guy ever" to have a wife who loves cooking (BTW, he is - ha!), he's also required to be very patient.  Normal meals involve cooking, plating, and eating, but there's one additional time-consuming step in our household: photographing the food.

Poor Matt lingers beside me as I hover, pivot, and mumble about the lighting while trying to get the perfect shot.  It's not unusual for us to reheat then-lukewarm food in the microwave when it's finally time to eat.  #iamashamed

Then, there's the idea that we eat every last crumb of all the food I feature on the blog, namely the cakes, cookies, and ridiculously indulgent desserts.  False, friends!

Most of the time, we'll enjoy a slice of that cake or a few cookies, and I'll take the rest to work or make impromptu dessert deliveries to friends.  Like Santa, I make house calls; unlike Santa, I do not want to be fat and jolly -- jolly is just fine.

Last, but certainly not least, is the notion that every single breakfast, lunch, and dinner is blog-worthy.  This couldn't be further from the truth!  Lunches are either leftovers or veggies, tuna, an apple or salad. Simple stuff.  And dinners?  At least once a week, I'll have eggs or oatmeal for dinner and Matt will make a PB & J sandwich.  In other words, the opposite of blog-worthy.  Delicious and satisfying, yes, but not rocket science.

As for breakfast, well, it's definitely the one meal that gets the most time and TLC from me but none of the pomp, circumstance, and photography.  I can't think of the last time I skipped breakfast because it's my favorite meal of the day!  And yet, I rarely share breakfast recipes with you.  Sad face.

So, here's a new kind of recipe that's barely a recipe at all.  More like a glimpse into my morning routine.  One that's easy to photograph, doesn't need reheating, healthy, and uber quick -- this is Fast Friday, after all.  And a recipe that I enjoy at least twice a week because I love it so much.

Oh, and did I mention how freakin' dreamy and delicious it is?  Served with a fancy schmancy straw, and I swear I'm drinking a milkshake for breakfast.

Milkshakes for breakfast!

Go ahead, join me.  It's Friday.  Treat yourself!  And have a delicious weekend!


Two years ago: Monte Cristo sandwiches
Three years ago: Pat's loaded baked potato salad


Strawberry Banana Protein Smoothie
-serves 1

A few notes: Feel free to use other frozen berries, too.  When I have them, I love using blueberries for a gorgeous purple shake!  Any flavor protein is good, or if you choose to omit it, try adding some Greek yogurt for an extra boost of protein and staying power.

1/2 banana, frozen
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
3/4 cup milk
1 scoop vanilla protein powder

Combine ingredients in pitcher of blender, and blend until smooth.  Enjoy immediately!

1 comment: