Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday Five: What else I cook

Friday!  Are you feelin' fine?  Fancy?  Free?  I'll take D. "All of the above."  :)

I'm off today and have only one mission: clean out my closet.  I did spring cleaning around the apartment a few weeks ago but left my closet for a later time.  That thing is going to require an entire day, possibly more!  Specifically sorting out its contents into keep, fix/clean, donate piles.  Time to get wool sweaters and coats to the dry cleaners before I pack them away until next season.  Mother Nature screwed surprised us with two unseasonably cold days earlier this week, but I think warmer weather is here to stay.  Glass half full attitude, right?

Much like the three piles of items from my closet, the dishes I cook on a regular basis fall into three categories, too: new recipes that are blog-worthy and will be photographed; tried and true favorites that have already been featured; and new recipes that are enjoyed but simply not documented.

The last group is a funny bunch because, more often than not, the resulting dishes are delicious but not shared with you for one reason or another.  It might be because the recipe might seem too simple to even be deemed a recipe.  Usually, however, it's because I have self-imposed blog-free meals and don't take the time to photograph while I'm cooking.  As much as I love ya and this blog, sometimes a gal needs a night off to just enjoy the food.

That being said, just because I didn't photograph the recipes doesn't mean I won't share them with ya.  Hope you enjoy this week's edition of Friday Five!

1. Mango chipotle tuna salad via Starkist's website - My sister's boyfriend works for Starkist and occasionally gives us different samples to try.  This time it was a pouch of hickory smoked tuna (who knew?!).  I went straight to Starkist's website and found the recipe for this salad and, boy, did it deliver.  Such fresh summery flavors and the fastest prep ever!  At least I had enough thought to snap a picture before I dug in.

2. Apple almond quinoa salad with sausage from Iowa Girl Eats - Another day, another yummy quinoa dish! I loved all of the different textures in this salad, which is equally delicious cold, at room temperature, or warm.  I have a feeling we're going to be eating a literal ton of quinoa this summer because it's so convenient and healthy.  Make a big batch at the beginning of the week and dress it up different each night!

3. Cauliflower fried rice by Nom Nom Paleo - What began as simple curiosity has blossomed into a full-on obsession.  I stumbled upon this method of grating and sauteeing cauliflower to create a mock rice dish.  While Matt wasn't crazy about it (guy just doesn't like cauliflower), I couldn't get enough of it!  The resulting texture is a smidge firmer than your average rice but still tender and takes on whatever flavors you add to it.  I cleaned my plate and Matt's, too!  A great low-carb alternative to rice and extra dose of fiber and vegetables.

4. XXL Death by Chocolate Cookie for One by Culinary Couture - There's a reason I posted the vegetable recipe right before this one.  Oh mah gosh, y'all.  THISCOOKIE!  I love Meriem's honesty: "Mini desserts are so cute and portable... But big desserts are WAY cooler!"  True story, folks, and this big cookie packs huge chocolate flavor.  You think you'll want to share it, but it'll never, ever happen, and I'm certainly not going to hold you to it.

5. Salmon and Guacamole Sandwiches by Barefoot Contessa - Just like my chicken meatball subs, this is another insanely hearty sandwich.  Thick ciabatta, tender salmon, creamy guacamole and crisp bacon!  As Ina would ask, "How bad can that be?"  Totally delicious!


Have a delicious weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment