Friday, April 15, 2011

Easy white bean dip

Finally!  Friday!  And a five minute dip recipe for ya.  It's so quick, I swear that I blinked and it was finished.  Especially convenient when one has the kind of ravenous evening that brings all of this into one's apartment. And, apparently, attracts fiances from near and far.  As I was taking this picture, the door opened and a certain someone strolled into my apartment...


And went straight to the dip, passing me by!  The nerve!

The real question is this: did I mind?

Nope, not one bit!  Because I, too, was busy stuffing my mouth with chips and dip as he came in, rather than greeting him with a hug.  The dip is so smooth and thick that it really holds up to piling it high on a chip or piece of naan.  I didn't even care that we finished nearly half of the bowl before sitting down to dinner since it is loaded with good-for-you-ingredients -- essential fats from the olive oil, lots of protein and fiber from the beans, and finger-licking taste with the seasoning and garlic... plus that bit of freshness from the lemon.  You must make this for your next, well, any occasion!  Perhaps a hockey game?  (cough Go Pens cough)

Game 2 is tonight, and I am p.u.m.p.e.d!  Going to enjoy the rest of this bean dip before a weekend of spring cleaning (best when the forecast is rain rain rain), bridesmaid activities for my friend the bride-to-be, and birthday celebrations.  Speaking of... wishing the happiest of happy 26th birthday to my former roommate and now-LA-resident, Rachel! :)  Check out THIS archival photo from August 2003... wow!


One Year Ago: Almond-crusted tilapia (perfect for the Lenten season!)


White Bean Dip
(adapted from Giada DeLaurentiis)
-serves 6-8

A few notes: The original called for 1/4 cup fresh parsley.  While it would give the dip a gorgeous green hue, I fully admit that parsley always seems like a waste to me, so I substituted a few green onions I had on hand.  I liked the added subtle onion flavor, but you may omit it without consequence.

1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt
Ground black pepper
1-2 Tablespoons chopped green onions (optional)
Pita, chips, or naan for serving

Place the beans, garlic, lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, and parsley in the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer the bean puree to a small bowl. Serve the pita toasts warm or at room temperature alongside the bean puree.  Store, covered, in the fridge for up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment