Friday, April 29, 2011

Thankful for...

It's Friday, which means a list of some sort is coming your way!  This week has been a little light on recipes and, for that, I'm sorry.  These past two weeks have seemed so busy with holidays, visitors, wedding planning, and even playoff hockey.  Thanks for sticking with me :)  Without further ado, a list:

1. I'm thankful for beautiful spring weather!  After a long day at work, I decided to skip the gym in favor of gallivanting around the city with my intended.  We walked, jogged, and even raced up the (what felt like) thousands of stairs outside the Petersen Center.  Hearts racing and hair blowing in the wind.  Loved every second of it!

2. I'm thankful for Steve Carell's talent and humor.  I mean, goodness, that guy is one of the best!  Last night's episode of The Office was the farewell to his character of seven years, Michael Scott.  It was hilarious and sweet and so appropriate to both his character and the show as a whole.  Did you watch?  I did... and criiiiiiiiiiiiiied.  A little embarrassing, but that show just holds such a special place in my heart.  It always will.  I won't spoil anything, but his goodbye to Jim is what really sent me over the edge.  Tears streaming down my face, I tell you!  Yikes :)

3. I'm thankful for the influx of fresh inexpensive produce at the grocery stores!  This week I whipped up a super out-of-the-box yet insanely easy side dish to go with dinner: roasted Brussels sprouts with pears, shallots, and fresh thyme.  The nutty tender sprouts with the soft and sweet pears and slivers of shallots were to die for, I tell you!  Who would've guessed this combination would be such a hit!  

How to: Just preheat your oven to 425F.  On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss trimmed and halved Brussels sprouts with cored wedges of pears and shallots, thyme, and a drizzle of olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper, and roast until sprouts are browned, about 30 to 35 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking time.  Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve!

Easy and gorgeous, right?  You must make these!  Like I've said time and time again, roasting veggies is the only way to go, at least in my book.  What should I roast next?  I'm open to suggestions!

4. I'm thankful for the vast (and bordering on excessive) coverage of the royal wedding!  Without an alarm, I woke up at 5:45 this morning and, rather than enjoying another half hour of sleep, I decided to get up, shower quickly, and eat my breakfast (in my white robe, btw!) during the ceremony!  I've always been a fan of weddings, so this was a moment not to be missed.  I loved it all, and I thought Kate looked absolutely regal.  Best wishes to the happy couple!  As for Matt and I... 225 days and counting!

5. I'm thankful it's Friday and the start to a (hopefully) calm weekend!  I always say that I can sleep when I'm dead, but I might have to take a short nap this weekend.  Looking forward to a date night, some sunshine and whatever else the wind may bring my way.  Enjoy yours to the fullest!

What are you thankful for today?

One Year Ago: Parker's split pea soup

No comments:

Post a Comment