Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Have you tried...

...savory oatmeal?  If your answer is "no" well, you must try it immediately!!  And, don't turn up your nose just yet.  Just like rice and couscous can be savory or sweet, so too can oatmeal.

Not sweet.  Not dripping with maple syrup, or topped with luscious blueberries or banana slices.  Not even sprinkled with a little brown sugar.

Instead, topped with a sunny-side-up egg, cheddar cheese, a sprinkling of green onion, and a dash of salt and pepper.  A little something like this bright bowl of breakfast cheer:

[image via Martha Stewart]

I've read about savory versions of oatmeal for months but never quite had the guts to try it for myself.  After yesterday's nauseating adventures with sugar (someone maybe went a little overboard with Easter sweets), I wanted something satisfying and slightly salty to start my morning today.

It's this easy: Just prepare plain oats (old-fashioned or quick-cooking) with water in either the microwave or on the stovetop.  Meanwhile, fry up an egg.  Top the cooked oatmeal with the egg, sprinkled some cheese and onions (chives would be great, too), and some S&P.  Break that runny and sunny yolk, mix, and devour!  Paired with a banana on the side, this was just what the doctor ordered for breakfast today.  Natural, packed with protein, and low in sugar.

After giving up sweets and desserts on the weekdays during Lent, I went a little crazy yesterday.  Easter weekend was surprisingly light when it came to sweets since we didn't do baskets this year, but yesterday was out of control.  A party at work meant sweet bagels, leftover Easter candy within arm's reach, and brownies... so many brownies.  And no real food since I wasn't able to buy groceries on Sunday!  I felt absolutely disgusting, so I cranked out a super grueling workout to burn up as much sugar as I could.  I went home, made dinner, turned down an invitation to Razzy for some fro-yo and completely skipped dessert.  Looks like I'm a changed woman!  Could it be??

Some sugar cramps aside, I'm happy to report that I'm feeling much better today. :)  Hope you're recovering nicely as well!


One Year Ago: White layer cake with strawberry meringue buttercream

No comments:

Post a Comment