Thursday, August 5, 2010

Slow cooker creamy pork chops

America runs on Dunkin', and today, so does this girl!  Since Matt is headed to his parents' for two weeks before classes start, we decided to have a quick little breakfast out before he leaves later this morning.  A new location opened up in Oakland below Pitt's dorms, so it was perfectly placed for some relaxing eats before heading to work.  I opted for the protein-packed turkey sausage, cheddar, and egg white flatbread sandwich -- yum!  Not that I expected it to be bad, but I didn't expect it to be that good at a place known for its sweets.  The egg actually tasted like egg (shocking, no?), the turkey was spiced just right, and the cheese was melty gooey good.  Oh, and I may or may not have pleaded for a bite of Matt's vanilla cream doughnut to round out the experience... no pun intended :)

While breakfast should keep me full well until lunchtime, check out what I have packed for today -- rarely am I this excited about leftovers from the night before.


Yum, that was last night's dinner.  Freshly steamed broccoli (without a doubt my favorite vegetable) with gorgeous, tender, and oh-so-moist chicken pork chops! That's right, pork chops.  I bet you thought those were two chicken breasts, huh?  

Pork, the other white meat.  Delicious, moist, falls apart at the slightest touch from a fork tender, and packed with flava'... all from two ingredients!  While I love bacon, ham, or any kind of marinated tenderloin, I'm not the biggest fan of just plain ol' pork chops, so this makeover was more than worth it (you know, the total cost was somewhere around $4).  Oh and ready when I walked in the door from the gym.  Bonus!  Plus, it's so fun telling people that you're making "pork chicken" or "chicken pork" just to see their reactions.


Chicken Pork Chops
-serves 4

A few notes: You could try another kind of soup, perhaps cream of mushroom.  And you could, of course, use chicken in place of pork.  I just happen to prefer giving the pork a feeling of rebirth :)  This can be easily doubled, as that's what my parents usually do, and don't worry if you need to stack the chops, the outcome/taste won't be affected.

1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
4 lean pork loin chops

In a slow cooker, spread a little of the soup, just enough to cover the bottom.  Arrange pork chops and cover with remaining soup.  Cover and set on low, allowing to cook 6-8 hours.  (If doubling, stir once or twice to move chops around.)  Serve and use "sauce" to drizzle over rice, mashed potatoes, or fresh vegetables.

-----
Today is both National Waffle Day and National Oyster Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment