Monday, June 21, 2010

Weekend + happy summer!

Happy first day of summer!  I am still exhausted from my river weekend in Maryland with the whole family.  There were disappearing cookies and cupcakes. Waterskiing (and falling) and tubing.

Not to mention sun, campfires, s'mores, crab cakes, a lil Betty White, tons of pictures, and much-needed family fun.  And I experienced a food first -- gravy fries!  Have any of you heard of this?  My aunt and cousins said it is a southern thing so that would explain why it's new to me.  But, goodness, ah-maz-ing!  Just a perfect Father's Day and a great kickoff to summer.  As much as I love winter and snow, I do enjoy summer.  You guessed it -- time for a list!  Five of my favorite things about summer:

1. No jackets required!  I get cold very easily, so I love not having to overpack when I go places.
2. Friendly people everywhere.  Winters in western PA tend to be cold, windy and icy causing people to hibernate and get cranky.  Thankfully, sunny summer seems to bring even the most hermit-like folks out of their residences for ice cream and walks and smiles.
3. Cheap produce.  Blueberries, strawberries, and... swoon... sour cherries!  Time to stock up while you can, bake those pies and tarts, and freeze some for later.
4. Extra daylight.  You know that I love to walk anywhere I can.  And that's much more feasible when it's not dark shortly after 5 o'clock.
5. Free things!  I can't vouch for other cities, but Pittsburgh is pretty fantastic when it comes to free entertainment throughout the summer.  Schenley Plaza has yoga sessions open to all, there are free classical music concerts on Sunday mornings, and - my favorite - free movies in the park!  I haven't made it to a flick on Flagstaff Hill yet, but I'm hoping to this week.  Does your city do similar things in the warmer months?

What are five of your favorite things about summer?

Have a great Monday!  (Mine has significantly improved with the aid of Advil to ease these river-beaten muscles.) :)

1 comment:

  1. My 5 favorite things about summer (in no particular order):
    -Cookouts
    -Baseball
    -Thunderstorms
    -No shoes, no shirt, no problem
    -Beach or River trips

    ReplyDelete