Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Vacation candy

How 'bout them apples?  The outside temperature for this morning's run -- 52 degrees!!!  I didn't know this until I returned but holy cool.  Yes, the sun was out and it turned out to be quite pleasant by the time I finished, but I definitely had to do a good bit of hand flexing and fist pumping to keep my fingers warm.  I probably looked like some kind of Rocky wannabe with my arms flailing or, better yet, Phoebe.

Thank goodness for that early metabolism boost, because my biggest nutrition downfall is the office.  I'm very fortunate to work with people with a massive sweet tooth (or else they'd have sacked me long ago for bringing in so many baked treats, ha!).  A coworker of mine recently returned from her vacation and left some sweet treats for the staff.  Salt water taffy and something I've never seen before: cranberry bog frogs!  Think of the traditional candy called turtles, consisting of milk chocolate covered pecans and caramel, but take it a step further.  Bog frogs are milk chocolate coated cashews, dried cranberries, and caramel.  Holy awesome:

I remember riding back from Ocean City as kids, with our legs crossed so there was room for the numerous tubs of Fisher's caramel popcorn and Dolle's Salt Water Taffy at our feet that my parents were taking back for family, neighbors picking up our mail, and ourselves when we started craving sun, sand, and sweet popcorn sometime in December.  Oh my gosh, have you ever had Fisher's popcorn?  It's heavenly.  And one of those giant tubs can last me months, provided that I keep it sealed so it doesn't get soft and stale.  Though, hands down, the best part was watching through the storefront windows as they filled tub after tub with the molten gooey popcorn.
  
Inquiring minds want to know -- do you bring back treats from vacation for family, friends, and/or coworkers?  Maybe a local specialty?  What's your favorite vacation munchie? 

Have a happy hump day!

No comments:

Post a Comment