Monday, September 9, 2013

Garlic roasted cabbage (round 1 recipe)


Mom always said, "Eat your greens!"

To that, I add, "Only when they're drizzled with olive oil, seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic, and roasted."

I could make up some lengthy anecdote about the inspiration for this recipe, but the truth is far simpler.  The truth is that green cabbage was 49 cents per pound at the grocery store a week ago, so I bought a head of it because how could I not buy it?! 

I even get suckered into the bargain mentality at the grocery store, folks.

A few months ago, I bought a 3/4-length-sleeved boatneck shirt from J. Crew that was on sale for $12, marked down from $55.  It fit well enough in the dressing room and, really, how could I not buy it?  Deal alert!

Turns out that a deal isn't really a deal if you don't use it.  I've only worn that shirt once, not to mention discovered that it doesn't fit all that well.

The boatneck is too wide and practically falls off my shoulders.  The sleeves are a little too long to be considered 3/4-length and edge closer to "badly shrunken."  And the body of the shirt is a bit shapeless and baggy.

I even tried to shrink it, hoping to achieve a true 3/4-length sleeve, and had no luck.  This shirt was destined to be weirdly-shaped.  Or, maybe I'm the weirdly-shaped one.  Either way, I don't like this shirt, and there's no quick fix for that problem.

Good luck Googling "how to turn shirt I don't like into one I do like."  Stupid impulse buy.

Luckily, there is a quick fix for the following conundrum: what do I do with this vegetable?

Roast it, roast it, roast it!


Since the green bean experiment of years ago, I've yet to encounter a vegetable that doesn't taste even better roasted.  Specifically, oiled, seasoned, and roasted.

Slow-roasting turns often-overlooked green cabbage into a side dish you won't be able to forget.  Tender, perfectly seasoned, and intoxicating for the nose and taste buds thanks to the garlic.  Just wait until you try the innermost part of the cabbage wedge -- so soft and sweet!

If, like we did, you have a few wedges left after dinner, check back tomorrow for a delicious round 2 recipe.  This one is going to turn your world upside down!


Two years ago: Classic lasagna (my favorite!)
Three years ago: Slow cooker beef roast with mushrooms and tomatoes


Garlic Roasted Cabbage
-serves 4-5

1 small head green cabbage, outer leaves removed
Olive oil
Salt
Ground black pepper
Garlic powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Keeping stem intact, cut cabbage in half, and then into equal wedges, 4 per half.  (If cabbage is on the larger side, cut into more wedges as necessary.  Wedges should be roughly 2 inches wide at thickest part.)  Arrange wedges on a baking sheet.  Brush liberally with olive oil, season with salt, pepper, and garlic on both sides.  Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, flipping wedges about halfway through cooking, until edges begin to turn golden brown.  Remove from oven and enjoy!

Any leftovers can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment