Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Garlic brown sugar chicken


Summertime is all about spending every waking moment outside, be it in blazing sunshine or on cool breezy evenings.  Reminds me of when I was a kid and my parents had to practically drag us inside once it became dark.  Love it!

How can anyone stay cooped up inside, away from the fresh air and activity?

Anyone who has just recently discovered the majesty of Downton Abbey.  Ahem. 

I may be nearly a century late to the party, but I'm there now, gosh darnit.  And it's a fabulous (and scandalous, da-yum!) shindig, to say the least.

In two weeks, I watched both seasons parts 1 and 2, consisting of 15 total hour-plus episodes.  I've been utterly captivated by it and, therefore, basically useless in the evening hours at home.

I've turned down invitations to go for walks in the park.

I've found myself sitting alone in a dark apartment.  I watched three straight episodes and apparently missed the sunset and never managed to turn on a single light.

I've had more than enough bowls of cereal and smoothies for dinner than I care to admit.  #sorryi'mnotsorry

But I will stand up and point to this recipe as proof that I did some cooking during the Downton Days, as they've become known.  I (briefly) moved from the couch!  I cooked something!  I made dinner!  And it was stupendous!

And so smack-your-forehead simple.  Four ingredients.  Five minutes from start to oven.  And lick-the-plate-clean delicious.  The caramelized sugar adds a nice crunch to outside of the chicken, while the inside is tender and perfectly garlicky (technical term, you see).  Easiest dinner this side of the Atlantic, I gather.

What more can you ask for?

Season Part 3, please.


One year ago: Stuffed zucchini boats
Two  years ago: Summer squash and white beat saute
Three years ago: Spicy turkey thighs


Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken
(adapted from Lovin' the Oven)
-serves 2

A quick note: Try this on chicken wings or pork chops!

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Salt
Ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.  Coat a small baking dish with nonstick spray.  Season both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper.  In a small skillet or saucepan, heat oil on medium and add garlic, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Remove from heat.  Stir brown sugar into garlic oil mixture.

Place chicken breasts in baking dish and spread brown sugar garlic mixture atop them.  Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and top begins to brown and caramelize.  Serve immediately and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment