Friday, July 26, 2013

Fast Friday: Grilled asparagus


Surprise Friday!  (Yes, again.)  Mondays are totally my favorite days to use vacation; having that day off makes the rest of the week shorter, both literally and mentally.  I've (mostly) gotten back to a normal routine, which means I'm not having dessert three times a day.  The dream had to end eventually, right?

Just in case you're one of those folks who require more than cake and ice cream to survive, I've got the quickest grill-friendly vegetable idea for you to make.  It'll provide lots of vitamins and minerals, all those good things of which doctors are imploring us to enjoy more.

(On a related note, if you ever figure out a way to make vegetables taste like peanut butter and chocolate, I kindly request that you inform me first.  Kthanksverymuch.)

This past Sunday, we headed to my parents for an afternoon of chillin' and an evening of grillin'.  My mom asked what I wanted for my birthday dinner, and I didn't hesitate one second: salmon and asparagus on the grill! 


My parents sweetly obliged, even though my dad said he knew nothing about grilling asparagus.  I told him it was a cinch and that I'd show him how to do it.  'cept I left out one tiny detail: I'd never grilled spears, either!

Turns out that asparagus is basically the easiest thing to grill, so I ended up looking like some kind of spear expert.  Fake it 'til you make it, right?

Bright green spears tossed with a little olive oil and salt and pepper.  K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple, Stupid.

It's hard to believe that nearly two years ago, I wasn't a fan of asparagus.  I think it was because I'd only ever eaten it in an overcooked mushy form.  Ew.  And canned asparagus?  Totally grosses me out.  Sorry, but I'm not sorry!

However, let's discuss my new jam -- this grilled asparagus.  Totally the bee's knees! Still crispy and snappy but just soft enough with great flavor that could only come from a charcoal grill.  You've gotta try this!  Father/daughter-tested, family-approved :)


One year ago: Toasted mozzarella, proscuitto, and fig sandwich
Two years ago: Chicken gyros
Three years ago: Corn cakes with goat cheese


Grilled Asparagus
-serves 4

1 pound bunch of asparagus, woody ends snapped off
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Heat grill (or grill pan) to high.  In a shallow dish, toss asparagus with oil to coat.  Season generously with salt and pepper.  Arrange spears on grill (perpendicular to grate openings) and cook, 4 to 5 minutes, occasionally rolling to cook and slightly char all sides.  (Cook longer if you prefer your spears on the softer side; less for more snap.)  Remove and enjoy immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment