Friday, July 15, 2011

Summer squash, zucchini & bean saute

To be clear, that garden isn't mine, per se.  Instead, it's the gardens of many local Pittsburgh farmers (with a little help from Kraft and an unnamed canning company) that helped me whip up a healthy weeknight dinner with (almost) all of the colors of the rainbow -- squash and white bean saute!


I could never ever be a vegetarian, but there are some nights when a meatless meal makes me feel so incredibly healthy!  You know, especially after a day when lunch consisted of a big bowl of cookies & cream and vanilla frozen yogurt, topped with cookie dough bits and rainbow sprinkles.  Packing all of those necessary vegetables into one meal helps to dilute all of that sugar :)

Like I said, not everything was from a garden...  Was a picture of this can necessary?  Nope, but I couldn't pass up an excuse to check out my still-new-to-me countertops!

Anyway, back to the food.  To skeptics out there who are wondering if this meal would truly satisfy you or leave you snooping around the pantry and refrigerator a few hours later, I give you exhibit A: a very hungry and manly fiance. 

Matt devoured this like there was no tomorrow.  And, for the record, when Matt is quiet while he's eating, that's a very good sign to the cook.  Quiet = happy and satisfied.

Of course I had to interrupt his quiet mealtime.  "Isn't it so fresh?  And the onions and garlic?  Ohmygosh, it was so easy to make, too.  And so healthy!"

From him?  Nodding and silence.  Okay, shush, Katy.  Let the man eat in peace.

Then I did some sort of Olympic-worthy sprint to the kitchen to get the cheese.  "How could I have forgotten the cheese?!" I panicked.  I grabbed Matt's plate to add some parmesan and he gave me this look.  I'll never forget that look.  That "why on earth are you taking my dinner away from me woman" look.  Oops.  Lesson learned - never take a man's meatless dinner away from him, mid-meal.  I'll file that one away in the tips for happy married life folder :)

I hope you get to enjoy some fresh meals of your own this weekend!


One Year Ago: Spicy turkey thighs


Summer Squash and White Bean Saute
(adapted from EatingWell)
-makes 2-3 servings

A few notes: Looking for more recipes to use up the bounty of squash and zucchini that you and your friends have?  Try these other delicious recipes -- squash pizza, zucchini tacos, chocolate chip zucchini bread, baked chips, lemony zucchini, corn cakes, zucchini potato hash, raw corn and zucchini salad, and Tuscan vegetable soup.  Wow, do I love zucchini or what? :)

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced roughly 1/8-1/4-inch thick
1 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise and sliced roughly 1/8-1/4-inch thick
1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini or great northern white beans, rinsed
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
Shredded or grated Parmesan cheese, for topping

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.

Add zucchini, squash, oregano, salt and pepper and stir to combine.  Cook, stirring once, until the vegetables are tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.

Stir in beans, tomatoes, and vinegar.  Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes.  Remove from the heat and top with cheese and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment