Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Shrimp, white beans and spinach


Two weeks into the new year, and I've yet to share a dessert recipe with you.  Just in case you think I haven't noticed that void, I'm well aware of it.

Fret not.  My sweet tooth hasn't gone anywhere, and I know yours hasn't, either.

I'm just trying to play nice for the time being.  To go along with all those resolutions to eat healthy, consume more fruits and veggies, and get on board with the idea that dessert need not follow breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Shrug.

All joking aside, I'm always trying to eat well.  In my book, "eat well" means the food's gotta both taste good and do good for me. 

Sometimes I even make a game out of planning a meal.  How good can I make this?  How many super foods can I incorporate?  And how can it taste so good that I'd make it again solely because it's that tasty?
After all, taste is king queen.

And, based on taste alone, I'd make this shrimp, spinach and bean saute every week for the rest of my life because it was goo-ood.

Wandering fork kind of good.  Let's just say there's something to be said for being the cook.  Matt knows it means I get the privilege of sampling from his plate, too. 

Aromatic onions and garlic are sauteed with spices before adding the spinach, shrimp, and beans.  I always swear if I could subsist on sauteed garlic and onions alone, I would because the smell is absolutely intoxicating.

Thankfully, both the spinach and beans soak up all those glorious flavors, while the shrimp gets to bask in all of it.  Plus -- make sure you're sitting down for this -- I love love love the little bit of heat that rounds out each bite thanks to the red pepper flakes.

And, shh, this is good for you.  Lean proteins, heart-healthy fats, fiber, and more vitamins and minerals than you could count on both hands.

But let's not harp on that.  Let's focus on the fact that this is so delicious that you'll want to eat it and make it again and again.

Did I mention it's easy and fast, too?  With that extra time you could whip up a killer treat, you know...

In good time.  Dessert's comin', don't you worry.  And it's bound to be a doozy.  Until then, eat your greens and pretend I said nothing.


One year ago: Bacon, cheddar & spinach pinwheels
Three years ago: Sweet & spicy rub for chicken or fish
Four years ago: Slice & bake coconut shortbread cookies + ice cream sandwiches


Shrimp, White Beans & Spinach
-makes 2 servings

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
8 ounces baby spinach
1 (14.5 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 pound raw or cooked shrimp (I used cooked
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup chicken broth or water

Add oil to nonstick pan over medium heat.  When oil is hot, add onion and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, roughly 4 to 5 minutes.  Add garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper, and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Add shrimp, heating until pink and warmed through.  Fold in spinach and stir until wilted.  Add broth or water, slowly, to help wilt spinach.  Add beans, tossing to combine.  Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment