Friday, January 31, 2014

Fast Friday: 3-Layer salsa, guacamole & bean dip


(Apologies to RSS feed readers -- Blogger error may have resulted in this popping up a day early.)

Welp, that's it for January, guys.  Today's the last day of the first month of the new year, so I guess it's high time I stop wishing folks "Happy New Year!" and start wishing them a "Happy Valentine's Day!"

With one more day of January, that means I get to wish my very own dad a happy 65th birthday!  :)  He's been traveling for business all week in Texas but will hopefully take this weekend to relax and celebrate.

The majority will be celebrating something this weekend, and I'm betting the Super Bowl is the reason.  (However, if you want to celebrate my dad's birthday, I'm sure he'd appreciate it -- he's a really fun guy.)

Football festivities are only two days away, and I've given you 42 recipes perfect for whatever party you're attending.  This week, I made cheese-stuffed meatballs and chocolate cupcakes with raspberry buttercream frosting -- you know you want some of those.  But I've save the best for last.

The meatballs and cupcakes were divine and you should absolutely make them for your party, but they didn't make my soul sing like I'd hoped.  There was a hole in my heart that neither of those treats could fill.  That space could only be filled with a dip.  After all, dips reign supreme when it comes to party food. 

This dip was inspired by one of my favorite new recipes of 2013 -- salmon tostadas.  Remember that black bean and salsa mixture that I deemed spreadable culinary gold?  Yep, that's the stuff.  I decided to turn it into something I could keep all to myself and demolish with a bag of Tostitos Scoops.  This is legitimately the best dip I've ever had.  Big words!

I mean, I decided to turn it into something I could share with those I love so dearly.  Crowd-friendly fare is the phrase, right?

Crowd-friendly may be the understatement of the year because this is the dip to end all dips.  The ultimate epic dip!  Three-layer bean, salsa, and guacamole dip.

Read that again.  Black beansSalsaAnd guacamole.  Everyone's favorite dips rolled into one convenient bowl, ready for whatever chip, vegetable, or make-shift scoop (no fingers) you bring at it.  And hey, it's not only vegetarian but vegan, too.  Mega ultimate epic win for dip lovers everywhere.  3 in 1!

And a win for makers of this dip because it uses three ingredients, not including salt, pepper, and lemon juice since they're pantry staples.  Avocado, black beans, and canned tomatoes.  It can't get any easier, folks.

With that in mind, I wish you a fun and spirited Super Bowl weekend.  May the entertaining be effortless, the company be jovial, the food be delicious, and the Broncos be victorious!


One year ago: Sunday beef stew


Three Layer Black Bean, Salsa, and Avocado Dip

A few notes: I love the Del Monte canned tomatoes with peppers and onions because it was a major shortcut in preparation.  However, if you can't find it, look for diced tomatoes with chili or substitute your favorite salsa.

1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with peppers and onions
1 avocado, pitted and peeled
1 teaspoon lemon juice, lime juice, or vinegar
Salt
Black pepper

In the bowl of a food chopper or blender, puree beans and half of canned tomatoes with juices until smooth.  Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to serving bowl.  In a small bowl, mash avocado with lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper; spread on top of black bean mixture in serving bowl.  Top with remaining tomatoes.  Serve with chips, vegetables, crackers, pretzel crisps, or any other dippable snack.  Enjoy!

Dip can be made ahead, covered and refrigerated for up to 6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment