Friday, December 21, 2012

Friday five: Holiday breakfast

TGITWBC - Thank goodness it's the weekend before Christmas!


Okay, I'll admit that doesn't have quite the same ring as "TGIF", but I couldn't help myself. Weeks of watching Christmas movies have me adding a little holiday cheer to anything and everything. Even yesterday's eggy breakfast looked positively dashing with green spinach and red peppers.

While we woke up in western PA, we went to sleep in eastern PA.  Matt and I made the drive to Reading last night to spend a long weekend visiting with his family.  We'll be making merry and spreading joy there through Monday before making the (hopefully snowy!) drive back to Pittsburgh on Christmas Eve, clad in our flannel pajamas and singing along to Matt's Christmas tunes mix.  I cannot tell you how genuinely excited I am for the sleigh car ride!!  I've even promised to stay awake for the entire thing and be a good passenger/wife.  Any bets on how that goes?

I know that Matt's parents, like so many others, are really looking forward to a house full of people and have already planned so many fun activities for all of us.  I thought it'd be a perfect time to share with five of my favorite breakfasts to please a crowd and give them all the energy they'll need for days full of house calls, shopping, skiing, and, well, feasting!

It's my Friday five: holiday breakfast edition!



1. Breakfast apple granola crisp -- Because the smell of apples and cinnamon make the whole house smell so cozy and welcoming, right?!  Curl up with a bowl of this and top with some vanilla yogurt first thing in the morning (or, ahem, ice cream for an afternoon snack).




2. Sausage kale breakfast strata -- If it was satisfying enough for a pack of hungry football fans tailgating on a cold fall morning, it will surely please a house full of eager kids and adults, ready to tear into a pile of presents!  All of the prep can be done up to a full day before cooking, and any leftovers you might have will reheat wonderfully.




3. Sour cherry coffee cake -- Sour cherries hold such a special place in my heart because of family tradition, and I think your family will love this, too!  A light fruit coffee cake that will go so well with a cup of tea or coffee.  Bonus: It's just as delicious for breakfast, lunch, a snack, or dessert with a scoop or ice cream.




4. The Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls aka the best cinnamon rolls ever -- I have been looking forward to making these for weeks once Matt and I sorted out our Christmas day plans.  I'm dreaming of a white Christmas... with a cup of hot chocolate and a plate of my favorite cinnamon rolls! :)  BEST. EVER.




5. Quiche -- my all-time favorite breakfast for guests.  You can personalize it any way you like, with peppers or mushrooms, broccoli or spinach, cheddar or Swiss... if you can think it, you can do it.  Friends and guests have never met a quiche of mine that they didn't love, and they think I went to such effort to do it.  Little do they know it's so incredibly easy!


Bonus: For a festive and non-alcoholic drink to start your morning, try my beloved famosa!  Orange juice and diet ginger ale make such a fizzy and fun special occasion.  Or, you know, champagne is always delicious, too, if you don't have to be family-friendly.

Happy entertaining and save travels if you are driving, flying, or going by sleigh :)

Two years ago: Chicken cacciatore, Applesauce cake

No comments:

Post a Comment