Monday, November 5, 2012

Avocado, black bean & sweet potato wraps


Celebrate!  That word means different things to different people.  To me, it means going out for a fancy dinner or indulging in a dessert of epic proportions.  When Matt found out that he passed his physics PRAXIS II exam (he is now certified to teach physics in high school) a few weeks ago, I immediately said, "We should celebrate!

"Where do you want to go?   What do you want for dinner?  It's your choice, dear!"
"Hot dogs," said Matt.
"Uh, what?"
"I want hot dogs.  With guacamole.  Guac dogs."

Because that's what Matt wanted, I made him hot dogs with homemade guacamole.  Because that's, apparently, how he wanted to celebrate his good news.

(For the record, Matt always wants hot dogs.  I think if his mother prepared a platter of them in lieu of a Thanksgiving turkey, he'd be the happiest man alive.)

I know some people say that spouses become like one another, but I don't think hot dogs will ever entice me quite like they do Matt.  I pick burgers over hot dogs at cookouts.  My ballpark snack of choice is Dip 'n Dots.  And my favorite fair food is most certainly fried Oreos.  The only hot dog that does it for me is the one dipped in corn batter and fried that I have every summer at Kennywood.

So, while he wanted hot dogs, I wanted anything else.  Short of preparing two complete meals, I decided to work with what I had.  Half of a sweet potato (the other half to make sweet potato fries for Matt), avocados, and black beans.  One quick trip to the fridge and I added a tortilla to the mix.  At this point, I was just hoping I what I was picturing would taste as good as I imagined it would.

Not only did it live up to the hype, but it totally surpassed it.  But, I'm getting ahead of myself as I always do.

First, le avocados, bright yellow and green, thinly sliced, and sooooooo buttery.  I swear that I could eat an entire avocado, plain, just like that.  

Once the potatoes were crisped and ready, I layered those on top of the avocado, and finished it off with a generous sprinkling of ground cumin.  Very few spices have the power and punch that cumin does, don't you agree?  Love that smoky flavor.

To pull it all together, I tucked and rolled and used some toothpicks to hold 'em together.  And then I dug into this ABS wrap like a true champ.

ABS?  Avocado, black bean, and sweet potato.  ABS was much more convenient than ABBSP, so I went with the former.  Fun fact: all of the ingredients in said wrap do, in fact, contribute to strong and defined abdominals!  Lean protein, fiber, good-for-you fats, whole grains, and low in sodium for the win.  The whole thing clocks in at 372 calories, 5 grams of fat, 17 grams of fiber, and 12 grams of protein.

But anyway, the TASTE was the big deal.  For some reason, I've always enjoyed wraps but rarely make them at home.  That's history now because this wrap came into my life.  Smoky, garlicky, buttery, chewy, crunchy, and downright satisfying.  Matt was happy with his hot dogs, and I was suuuuuuuuuper jazzed about my ABS wrap!

As the platter says, "When hours feel like moments, you know you are celebrating with good friends."  I'd say that's a definition of celebrate that everyone can agree upon, don't you? :)


One year ago: Butternut squash macaroni & cheese
Two years ago: Orange and balsamic chicken
Three years ago: Apple & pear crisp


Avocado, Black Bean, and Sweet Potato Wraps
-serves 2

1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
Salt
Black pepper
Garlic powder
2 10-inch tortillas
1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
Ground cumin
2/3 cup black beans, rinsed and drained

Preheat oven to 415 degrees Fahrenheit.  On a rimmed baking sheet, toss sweet potato with oil until evenly coated.  Spread out in a single later and sprinkle with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.  Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, shuffling halfway through, until beginning to brown on edges and to desired doneness.  (Some like 'em softer, some like 'em crispier.)

Meanwhile, layer 1/2 of the avocado slices in the center of each tortilla.  Divide sweet potatoes among tortillas and finish off with beans and a generous sprinkling of cumin.  Wrap, piece with toothpick, slice in half, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment