Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The secret to perfectly cut brownies

And, no, the answer isn't to forego cutting them at all and eating them out of the pan with a fork.

(Although, that sounds like a pretty awesome plan, if you ask me.)

Think back to the last time you attempted to cut a tray of brownies.  The goal was to slice the pan of chocolate heaven into neat little squares and display them on that lovely platter you've been saving for a special occasion, be in a family picnic or a housewarming party.  So, you make the first slice and... BLERG!  This is what happens:


That's at least four brownies that I would call "ruined" and refuse to serve on the platter because they look a bit worse for wear.  Then you wipe off the knife and try to trim those jagged edges (eating the discarded pieces, ahem) with no more success.  Now you've got brownies of all shapes and sizes and most still with uneven edges.  So annoying!

Thankfully, I've got a ridiculously fool-proof and inexpensive way to save all future trays of brownies or dense chocolate cakes from such a cruel, masochistic fate and it's all thanks to my dear mom.

Ready for this?

A plastic knife!  Yep, that's it.  One of these picnic or holiday party staples:


My mom swears by her trusty plastic knife whenever there's a batch of freshly baked brownies ready to be served.  She's so serious about it that she practically swatted the regular metal knife out of my hand when I was about to cut them!  Not to mention has reminded me time and time again to wash the plastic knife and save it for reusing rather than throw it into the trash.  She may be the kindest person I know, but she is fierce about her brownie-cutting, folks :)

And she's fierce for a reason -- using a plastic knife gives the brownies super smooth cuts in all directions and nothing sticks to said knife.  Success!
You know you're dying to test this out, so here are two ideal recipes for um, "testing" purposes:

28 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad you remembered who taught you that little trick! I feel a need to make brownies after reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job Mom! I'm a mom of 25 years and have always been frustrated that I can't accomplish this!!! Thanks!!

      Delete
    2. A metal serrated knife will do the job also.

      Delete
  2. Wow, it worked, Thanks for the tip!! I would of tore those suckers up without trying that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! Best tip I found!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe I didn't know this before. It worked perfectly. I can't tell you how many times I have totally made a mess of brownies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, messy brownies are still delicious brownies ;)

      Delete
  5. I had to google this after slicing brownies continually perplexed me. This trick worked like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish i looked this up BEFORE i cut my brownies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess you'll have to keep the "ugly" brownies for yourself and bake another batch for sharing, huh? :)

      Delete
  7. What about lifting them out of the pan after they are sliced?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always line my brownie pans with parchment paper, so I can lift the entire lot out after they're cut and simply remove each brownie as desired. Try this next time you bake a batch.

      However, if you find yourself out of parchment paper, I find that a flat spatula does the job.

      Delete
  8. Maybe she swatted your hand with the metal knife because she didn't want you scratching her baking trays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touche, my friend :) As an adult who dearly treasures her baking pans, now I get it

      Delete
  9. A plastic Knife.... Wow, THANK YOU. This is literally the easiest most reliable method I have ever tried....

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!! I am in shock at how easy this was! This is one of tte best life hacks I have ever found. I can't thank you enough for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so welcome! No need to thank me, but if you happen to go on a brownie-baking bender, I'm more than happy to help with the surplus ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This worked almost perfect. Thank you! The crunchy corners split a bit but this worked so much better than anything I've tried previously.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just a quick question.. Do you cut when cool or fresh out of the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just a quick question.. Do you cut when cool or fresh out of the oven?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember someone telling me this many years ago. How dumb that I forgot. Many thanks!

      Delete
  15. Oh my gosh... how simple. This is a life saver!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, thank you! This has been a thorn in my side for so long. FINALLY found something that works!

    ReplyDelete
  17. brief talk on cuting i hope it will work I'll try

    custom burger boxes

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice article, thanks.


    check out my blog on.


    Energy Market Tips

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really your blog is very interesting…. it contains great and unique information. It’s an amazing list of blogs.
    data process management

    ReplyDelete