Friday, July 8, 2011

Pizza turnovers


As of this morning, the packing is officially finished!  Although I'm struggling a bit to look put together (little sleep, no gym time, and haphazard breakfasts), my apartment looks like a very organized warehouse.  Clothes, books, electronics, and kitchen goods are all boxed and taped up, ready to go.

That's right, my entire kitchen is packaged -- pastry brushes, cookie sheets, rolling pin, etc.  See that box at the bottom of the stack?  All of the things that I totally needed to make these pizza turnovers are in that box.

Even though I knew what I was making for dinner last night, I completely ignored said plan and packed them anyway.  Is it possible to be too organized/quick to pack?  Mm hmm.  Fail #1.

Not willing to let my stupidity organization get the best of my meal plans, I quickly adapted with what I had left.  A makeshift cookie sheet composed of a wire cooling rack, a layer of foil crimped at the edges and corners, and a layer of parchment paper.  Look out, MacGuvyer :)

I cut the puff pastry into squares and... did nothing but arrange them on the "cookie sheet."  I would've rolled them out a bit to make the squares bigger, but my blasted rolling pin was packed.  In that bottom box.  Fail #2.  Don't be like me.  Roll them out, please.

And then I filled them.  Velvety red sauce, fresh cheese (which I tested for quality, naturally), and some pizza seasoning for good measure.  "Am I overfilling these?  No, they look so small.  I'll add more cheese."

Fail #3.  Let's just look at that picture and quietly agree that I went a little too far with the stuffing.  Maybe if I had rolled out the squares before stuffing.  D'oh!

A little while later, I had beautiful, gooey, exploding pizza turnovers?!  Fail #4.  Should've rolled the dough, should've rolled the dough.  [smacks forehead]

With my initially lofty expectations lowered quite a bit during the process, I figured, "Hey, might as well try one.  It can't hurt."

One bite.  A mouth full of hot cheese and sauce.  Some huffing and puffing to cool mouth.  Some chewing.  "Ohhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyy goodnefffffssshhhhh!"  They weren't as pretty as I'd hoped, but they were out of this world delicious!  The buttery flaky pastry filled with steamy sauce and melted cheese made a perfect Thursday night dinner break from packing.  All of those fails were forgotten as I demolished not one, but two turnovers. 

They say you're only as good as your last performance, right?  Welp, I'd call this a failure success!  Let's hope I can keep the streak going and have a pain-free successful moving day tomorrow.  Fingers crossed and prayers said for no rain, an honored truck reservation from U-Haul, and organization!  I'll be sure to share a moving recap with you on Monday.  Have a fantastic weekend!


One Year Ago: Cheesy chicken and black bean enchiladas

A few notes: Treat these turnovers as you would your favorite pizza.  Top Fill them with whatever you like, be it pepperoni, veggies, fresh garlic, or diced sausage.  As usual, feel free to double this for more guests or leftovers.  A standard package of puff pastry comes with two sheets.


Pizza Turnovers
-makes 4

1 sheet thawed puff pastry
Marinara sauce for filling, plus more for dipping
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Pepperoni, mushrooms, or any other toppings you want to add
Ground black pepper
Pizza seasoning (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Roll out puff pastry sheet on lightly floured surface to a 12-inch square.  Cut into 4 equal squares and arrange on cookie sheet.  Place sauce, cheese, and other fillings in the center of each of the squares -- careful not to overfill -- leaving at least a half-inch border.  Brush the edges with water and fold in half diagonally.  Crimp edges with a fork.  Repeat with remaining turnovers.  Prick top of turnovers with a fork once or twice.

Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes until beginning to turn golden and puffy.  Remove from oven, sprinkle additional mozzarella cheese on top of turnovers, and return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes until melted and golden.  Remove and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving, as contents are mighty hot.  Serve immediately with marinara sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment