Thursday, December 16, 2010

I think they serve these in Heaven...

Every year around the holidays, certain treats appear in grocery stores and on dessert tables that spend the other 11 months out of the year in hibernation.  Where, exactly, I don't know, but I'd be willing to pay a lot of money to acquire such information.  Is there something, sweet or savory, that you look forward to every year?    For me, it's the magical white fudge-covered Oreo.  Sweet decadent sinful cookie.  Just look at it!

These babies are 100 calories each!  I regret looking at the nutritional information on the back of the box, and I'm sure you don't appreciate me sharing it with you.  But, still, even with that knowledge, I push it to the far corners of my memory and indulge anyway.  They are so good.  So good!  Because, if you can't enjoy and spoil yourself at the holidays, when can you?

So, because one Oreo confection isn't enough, another for you to try at home...

I'm going against my cardinal rule of never posting recipes that I haven't tried because this is just too good to ignore.  And, in light of how many things I have on my list to bake this week/weekend, I don't know if I'll get to it before the holidays to write about it.  So, without further ado, I give you brownie-covered Oreos:

I saw these yesterday while perusing the interwebs and linking around from blog to blog.  Be still my heart (and the blood that will eventually be unable to flow through my clogged arteries)!  If you've ever had fried Oreos and worry that these will be mushy like those, worry not.  Per the blogger and subsequent comments, the Oreos soften a bit but are far from soggy.

Here is a link to the recipe.  A few tips if you decide to make them:

  • Use a standard 12-cup muffin/cupcake tin.
  • To clarify, when removing pan from oven, run a paring knife around each cookie/tin and wait 3 minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.
  • Any type of Oreo will work here.  Regular, Double Stuf, mint, peanut butter, even the new half yellow/half chocolate variety.  I can feel my heart racing just thinking about it!
  • Wait until cookies have cooled (25-30 minutes) before icing or it will run.
If any of you take a stab at these in your own kitchen, let me know how it goes!  Brownie-covered Oreos for everyone! :)

-----
One last unrelated note -- did any of you watch the HBO's 24/7 Penguins Capitals part 1 last night?  Um, talk about the greatest hour of television I've ever watched!  Of course, I'm a huge hockey/Penguins fan, so my enjoyment was to be expected.  But, I think that the show is being done in a way that will attract new fans just in time for the new year.  Will you watch?  I say give it a chance!  Have a great day! 

    1 comment:

    1. Wow! I highly recommend this recipe! Not soggy, not chewy, just delicious. Perfectly softened cookies and then a delicious fudge brownie around it- the best part is the Oreo icing because it needs that little sugary kick with all of the chocolate flavor...maybe double stuffed would have been even better. LOVED IT, thank you Katy and blogger :)

      Oh the only thing is that for my first batch I failed to use the plastic fork soon enough and I could really tell the difference. The bottoms were getting stuck more on that first batch..but once I used the fork RIGHT away (then waiting 2-4 minutes before taking them out) it was much better

      ReplyDelete