Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday musings

Happpppppppy Friday, friends!  Not just any Friday, but a surprise Friday!  I love my surprise Fridays, almost as much as I love planning events and trips.  Word to the wise -- I do not recommend reading the list of 1000 Places to Visit Before You Die after looking at pictures of one friend's cross-country road trip and another pal's vacation to Ireland.  It will make you stir crazy (at the beginning of September... isn't that more of a February thing?) and have you creating multiple Google documents with travel plans.  Where to go, where to go?  At least I can take comfort in the fact that, barring any big hiccups, I'll be seeing this sometime in spring of 2014 (gulp):

Yes!  Paris!  And hopefully Lyon, and a few other places around France.  But, for at least this weekend, I'll have to settle for good ol' Pittsburgh :)  If you, too, happen to be in the area, thankfully there is a ton happening, and something is sure to interest you (links include more important info like times, prices, etc.):
  • Pittsburgh Irish Festival -- Irish bands and food, and surely some jigging.  I'm hoping to get there tonight!
  • The opening weekend of the Pittsburgh Public Market!  As if the Strip District wasn't already the food mecca of western PA, this new open-air warehouse will feature locally grown food, baked goods, and even crafts and art.  Fair warning -- parking is usually b-a-n-a-n-a-s on weekends.
  • Don't just talk the talk, but walk the walk line at the 2010 Johnny Cash Day party at the Elks Lodge on the North Side.  A friend alerted me to this, and I'm sure it will be a very hip scene!
  • Pittsburgh air show, Wings Over Pittsburgh, is free and happening Saturday and Sunday.  I have such fond memories of watching the Blue Angels fly over St. Vincent College in Latrobe when I was younger.  It may sound a wee bit lame, but trust me when I say it's infinitely impressive and exciting.
  • Looking to channel your inner Benny Goodman or Louis Armstrong?  Head to Schenley Plaza on Saturday for a free all-day jazz festival, featuring new performers every hour.  The weather looks like it's going to phenomenal, so pack up a treat or two and enjoy an afternoon picnic :)
And, not only is it Friday, but almost a fall Friday?  I know, I know.  Not quite fall, but it's been in the low 50s on my morning walks to work and that has me dreaming of trench coats and scarves.  Speaking of weather and fashion, what makes females think that tube tops and mini skirts are acceptable when the temperature is well below 70 degrees?  I don't care if you are incredibly tan and the calendar claims there are two-ish weeks left of summer.  Not allowed.  Case closed.  I don't really abide by the no white after Labor Day rule, though, so maybe someone out there is saying similar things about my fashion choices :)  Do you have any hard and fast weather-related wardrobe rules?

Lots of links today.  Have a fantastic weekend, get outside, cook something delicious, and relax relax relax in the cool September air :)

1 comment:

  1. Above 50F (10C or even 283K for you science people) is flip-flop weather.

    ReplyDelete