Monday, September 20, 2010

Apple crisp (for two)



Happy Monday!  What a weekend, huh?  Guess that Indian summer heard me and decided to show its face around these parts.  But that won't stop me from talking about all things fall, no sir.  Especially when the mornings are showing the season's true colors, even if the days are doing a semi-decent job of covering up for them.  I was in for a shock on my run early on Saturday morning -- stepped outside to total darkness, heavy fog, and, as I discovered when I returned home, a mercury reading of 48 degrees!  What the what?

The rest of the weekend was nice, albeit a little shorter since I worked on Saturday.  But that's rare and I'll make up for it with this Friday off, so I can't complain.  The weather was nice enough for one last cookout with the family (dear barbequed ribs and potato salad, you will be missed until next summer!).  And there was Oktoberfest to be had.  The cherry on top had to be attending Phantom of the Opera with the family on Sunday evening :)  I've seen other shows before, but this blew them out of the water.  Phenomenal!  Did any of you catch it here in Pittsburgh or have you seen it elsewhere?  If so, what did you think?!

Wait, where was I?  Oh yes!  Fall flavors! ...goodness, maybe I could have benefited from another day of rest...

I actually made this dessert the day after I made the peanut butter apple tart (that's Friday the 10th, for those of you keeping track of my slacking food journaling efforts).  And don't for one second think that this was delayed for any other reason than I decided to spread out the apple love, lest my readers get sick of one of the gems of fall harvests before they've even begun!  It required minimal ingredients that were already in the pantry.  And it was quick to throw together.  How quick?  So quick that I decided to make this after dinner when I wasn't quite full and looking for something sweet to satisfy me.  The best part, aside from the crunchy brown sugar topping and sweet spice-laden apples, was that it made the whole apartment smell like Thanksgiving.  Yum!

Want these flavors in a dish that's more appropriate for breakfast?  Try apple pie oatmeal!


Apple Crisp
(adapted from Taste of Home)

2 apples, peeled and sliced
3 Tablespoons water
3 Tablespoons graham cracker crumbs (about 2 1/2 sheets)
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 Tablespoons butter, cold
Splash of pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F.

Place apples and water in a 1-quart glass baking dish; toss to combine.  In a small bowl, whisk together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and cinnamon.  Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form.  Sprinkle evenly over apples.

Bake for 25 minutes, until apples are tender.  Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack before eating.  If you're serving in a separate dish, feel free to add a scoop of ice cream.  But, know that it's perfectly acceptable to share, straight out of the dish, for a romantic dessert of sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment