Friday, June 27, 2014

Friday Five: All the (random) things

TGIF!  How has your week been?  I could've sworn the morning news shows -- all of them -- made a mistake when they said that today was June 27th.  Good gracious, how is it the end of June already?!  I guess we've just been having too much fun to pay any attention to planners, calendars, and reality :) 

This weekend is going to be an extra good one.  We've got picnic brunch plans with friends on Sunday, a baking supply stock-up trip on the agenda since I'm currently out of nearly everything, and an exciting new adventure at the end of this post.  Here is today's Friday Five that's just as varied and random as our weekend will surely be!


1. Joe-Joe's Chocolate Sandwich Creme Cookies - My coworker is a major devotee of Trader Joe's goodies and brought these to our most recent office book club gathering.  Someone else brought Oreos, so we had a taste-off.  Unsure as to whether the Joe-Joe's would live up to the originals, I dug in hesitantly... only to fall head over heels in love with these cookies!  The chocolate creme is much smoother and softer than that of an Oreo.  Let's just say I'm glad she left them in the office because I had one a few yesterday morning for a snack.  Are you a Trader Joe's shopper?  I might have to schedule a visit soon.

2. 10% Happier by Dan Harris - My good friend received this book from his wife a few months ago.  Despite it being an impulse buy, he loved it and coerced me into reading it, too.  Not wanting to become one of those people who tells everyone and anyone about "this amazing book I just read" um, well, I'll just this: I loved this book!  I couldn't get enough of Dan Harris, his stories, and easy writing style.  Rather than feeling like I was being preached to, I found myself laughing out loud and applauding him for saying the very things I often think.  Click here to read an excerpt from the book.  This would be a great vacation read!

3. The scientific way to cut a cake - You must watch this video -- it's smack-your-forehead, why-didn't-I-think-of-that brilliant.  I'll have to keep this in mind next time I make a cake.  I actually made one earlier this week, but it was devoured in roughly 3 hours :)  (Thanks to my friend, Leo, for the find!)

4. How to Train Your Dragon 2 - We treated ourselves to a mid-week movie night and saw this.  If you loved the first installment like we did, you will absolutely love the sequel!  It's as good as the first, if not better.  Though we're not fans of 3-D movies (both of us get headaches!) and saw it in standard form, methinks this would be fantastic in 3-D if it's your thing.  The flying scenes are spectacular!  Also, I want a Toothless, kthanksbye.

5. Ziplining & ropes course - I am so, so, so pumped for this weekend because Matt and I made plans to go to a local ropes course & zip lines.  GoApe recently opened in nearby North Park, and we've heard great things about the treetop adventure.  When I made my summer fun things wishlist, I put this at the very top (no pun intended).  I'm planning to take my camera, so hopefully I can get some awesome pictures.

Wherever you are and whatever fun plans you have, enjoy the last weekend in June (I can't believe it either)!  Check back next week for 4th of July recipes! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment