Friday, March 28, 2014

Fast Friday: Fried egg & savory oatmeal


Happy Friday from the comforts of my bed!

[crickets & nasty glances]

Okay, so not literally from the comfort of my bed.   But when this post goes live, I'll ideally be lounging around the apartment somewhere.  I took the day off since I knew we'd be out late last night.  For his 30th birthday, I got Matt tickets to see one of his favorite comedians, Jim Gaffigan (yes, the Hot Pocket guy) when his tour came through Pittsburgh.

Paired with a delicious dinner out, we had such a great time!  Who knew weeknights could be so fun?  As far as Jim Gaffigan's performance, he was laugh-so-hard-it-hurts funny and totally surpassed my expectations.  I wasn't super familiar with his routines but ended up really enjoying it since he talked about food a lot.  If you have a chance to see him, I highly recommend doing so!

Since my Friday is atypical, I thought it would be fitting to share a breakfast that's a departure from the ordinary.  Buckle your seatbelts, friends, because this is a little different.

And a little sexy.

And a lot delicious.

Oatmeal gets the savory treatment with a peppery fried egg and fruity olive oil.

Yes, savory.  Kiss the maple and brown sugar goodbye (though they're not going to be too far away, I promise).

In other words, this ain't yo' mama's porridge.

Nor is it my porridge, at least the concept.  I actually stole the idea from one of my favorite Food Network chefs -- Giada DeLaurentiis.  Trolling Twitter, I saw a photo she posted and proclaimed it her favorite go-to breakfast.  Simple, cheap, and available just about everywhere in case you're the kind who jets back and forth across the country on the reg.

I'm no jet-setter, but I'm always looking for a breakfast that keeps me full and fueled up for whatever activities my day holds.  And it's gotta make my taste buds happy.  I don't care how many benefits a dish has; if it doesn't have flavor, count me out.

Thankfully, that lady knows her stuff.  This savory take on a normally sweet breakfast staple blew me away.  The kick from the fresh pepper was the perfect wake-up call.  But my favorite part was definitely the make-shift sauce.  When the yolk is pierced, it mixes with the olive oil to create the most luscious and rich sauce for the creamy oatmeal.  Ah-mazing!

Just another reason to love your oats.  As if I really needed any more.  Just ask my husband and he'll point you to the entire half of a pantry shelf loaded with homemade granola, instant oatmeal packets, and enough oats to blanket the continental US.  Not to mention the oat waffles in the freezer.

I think I have an oats problem.  A delicious oats problem.  Please send help.  (There will be snacks.)


Two years ago: Sloppy Joe grilled cheese
Three years ago: Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls
Four years ago: Shortcut vegetable pot pie


Savory Oatmeal with a Fried Egg
-serves 1

A few notes: This can be easily multiplied to feed more mouths.  Also, feel free to top with 2 eggs and add a bit of cheese, if it suits your fancy, though it's not necessary.

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 Tablespoon good extra virgin olive oil
Salt
Pepper
1 large egg
Nonstick cooking spray
Fresh parmesan or cheddar shavings, optional

In a small saucepan over medium low heat, combine oats, 1 cup water, and pinch of salt.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the water is absorbed and oats are creamy.

While oats are cooking, preheat nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Coat with cooking spray.  Crack egg in a small bowl or ramekin and gently pour into pan.  Season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes or until egg white is set around edges and bottom.  Gently flip and cook another minute, again seasoning with salt and pepper.

Transfer warm oatmeal to a bowl and top with fried egg.  Drizzle with olive oil and cheese, if using.  Enjoy immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment