Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sloppy Joe grilled cheese sandwiches



I tend to obsess about things and fall head over heels in love with them.  Take hockey, Kate Spade's spring 2012 collection, and this ridiculously catchy pop song as a few examples.  I made the unfortunate mistake of watching the official music video on YouTube and was horrified by the fact that the group members look eight years old.  That made me feel old, so I went ahead and minimized that window for further listening.

Another current obsession of mine has been the humble grilled cheese.  Whether classic or twisted with guacamole and transformed into the stuff dreams are made of, I can't get enough of 'em.  Would you believe that there is even a Pinterest group called Grilled Cheese Social for enthusiasts all over the interwebs to share their magical creations?!  Color me beyond excited!

I spotted many, many sandwiches that were immediately added to my must make list.  One such sandwich had me so transfixed that I altered my meal plan for the following week (gasp!), happily discovered that I had all of the ingredients already (hooray!), and made it within 48 hours of said discovery.

Like I said, I'm serious about grilled cheese sandwiches.   Seriously in love with them!

And very serious about how important it is for you to try this for yourself.  Imagine two of the most comforting, timeless, and downright delicious sandwiches you've ever had.  In fact, you've made them time and time again: a grilled cheese and a Sloppy Joe.

Now put 'em together and let them mingle, melt, and get all kinds of toasty.  It's sheer insanity that I'd never tried this before.

Also insane?  That I was carefully using my fingers to snatch up bits of cheese and beef that had oozed onto the Griddler.  A little hot at times, but totally friggin' worth it.


By the way, I recommend the low and slow method for grilling sandwiches.  It gives the cheese ample time to melt and ooze, sealing in the Sloppy Joe filling, while the buttered bread toasts, crisps, and alllllllllllmost burns.

Careful flipping!  I almost had a real mess on my hands had it not been for some quick spatula work.

Oh dear.  Just look at that.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it again.  This was -- you may want to sit down for this -- bar none, the best grilled cheese I've ever had!

You see that?  That's what I call the golden bite -- the almost burnt bit of cheddar that's oozed out of the sandwich during cooking.  My first glorious taste of the first sloppy Joe grilled cheese to come out of my kitchen.  From here on out, there was no room for a camera.  All hands on deck for this dinner and not a single crumb was left behind.

Told you.  Ob-sessed!  You'll be, too, trust me.  I promise I wasn't clutching my Kate Spade bag while eating this, but I'll say nothing about whether or not that song was on repeat on my computer.  One obsession cancels out the other, right?


Two years ago: Filled doughnut muffins


Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
(adapted from Real Mom Kitchen)
-serves 4

1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 Tablespoons mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
8 slices bread
Softened butter
Shredded cheddar cheese

In a skillet, brown beef with onion until fully cooked.  Drain off excess grease.  Add mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar to the beef.  Simmer for 5 minutes.

Preheat griddle or nonstick skillet over medium.  Spread butter over one side of each slice of bread.  For each sandwich, place one slice of bread, butter side down in skillet.  Top with a little cheddar cheese, 1/4 of the beef mixture, and additional cheese.  Place an additional slice of bread on top, butter side up, making a sandwich.

Cook in skillet or on griddle over medium heat until both sides are toasted golden brown and the cheese is melted/oozing.  Careful flipping so the glorious filling doesn't fall out.

Repeat with remaining sandwiches and enjoy this heart comforting sandwich you just made!  If cutting in half, allow the sandwich to rest for 2 or 3 minutes to cool slightly, to let the filling set.

2 comments:

  1. I just printed this recipe because I love sloppy joes and cheese. I feel like this is going to be a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winner winner sloppy joe grilled cheese dinner :) Can't wait to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete