Friday, October 4, 2013

Fast Friday: Turkey applejack toasties


What do you do when you can't make up your mind?  Don't! 

(Bet you weren't expecting that.)

Sometimes -- okay, often -- I can't decide what I want to eat.  It's usually because I've had too much time to think about the upcoming meal and have roughly 9,322 ideas bouncing around my brain as to what I could make.  With that many ideas, there are bound to be nearly as many (differing) themes.

Cheesy and warm, like a... grilled cheese.

With some spice!  Yeah, spicy would be great.  Not too much, but just enough to make my tongue tingle with a little heat.

Crunchy and chewy.  Because things that crunch are totally my speed since they satisfy in a way soft foods just can't.

Meaty.  Substantial.  Something that will fill me up and keep me full for more than 5 minutes.

Cheesy, spicy, crunchy, and meaty.  Those I can do.  And then, a really familiar craving rears its obnoxious head.

SWEET!  Iwantsomethingsweetnow.

Rather than raiding the pantry and devouring an entire column -- not package, I'm not a total fatty -- of Halloween Oreos, I did some quick thinking and managed to pull together one fast, well-rounded, and delicious dinner.

Turkey applejack toasties for the win!


I've been on a serious sandwich kick lately, but this one really set itself apart from the pack.

I know I'm always saying things like, "This is my new favorite thing ever!"  After so many times, you must start to doubt me.   But please don't.  I beg you.  Because, when I make and taste whatever it is and share it with you, I'm truly mean every word I say.  It's absolutely my favorite at that moment in time.

But this sandwich?  This sweet, salty, spicy, crunchy little toasty delight?   It is, hands down, the best sandwich I've ever eaten.  Ever.

Salty oven-roasted turkey, sweet and crisp apples, kickin' melted pepperjack between golden toasted whole wheat bread.  The individual flavors are so different but work so well together that I wondered why this combination had never dawned on me in the past.

Probably because I "settled" for a random meal of a string cheese, a can of tuna, and some of those addictive seasonal Oreos.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's no turkey applejack toasty!  A quick lunch or dinner that hits all the right notes.

If only I'd known how little effort were required to squash my hunger pangs.  Toast, assemble, savor!  Shoulda, woulda, coulda, right?

Now, if I only I could decide what to watch first as I catch up on my favorite TV shows.  You know, I could watch one on TV and stream one on the laptop, alternating during commercials... why not, right?

Have a delightfully indecisive weekend!


One year ago: Baked ravioli
Two years ago: Beef taco salad with tomato dressing
Three years ago: Herbed tilapia


Turkey Apple-jack Toasties
-makes 2 sandwiches

4 slices bread (I used whole wheat)
Dijon mustard
Mayonnaise
4 slices pepperjack cheese
6 ounces shaved roasted turkey
1 apple, cored and thinly sliced (I used a Pink Lady apple, but any firm variety will do)

Preheat broiler and toast bread.  Spread mustard on one side of one slice and mayo on the other.  Top one slice with 1/2 of turkey and two slices of cheese.  Return turkey and cheese-topped half of sandwich to broiler until cheese has melted.  Arrange apple slices on melted cheese and finish with remaining piece of bread.  Slice, if desired, and enjoy immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment