Thursday, June 27, 2013

Huevos rancheros


Talking to a friend recently, we were trading the evening's dinner plans.  I said I'd be making one of our stand-bys, huevos rancheros.

"Huevos what?"
"Oh, you know, eggs, tortillas, beans, salsa.  Nothing fancy."
"Eggs and tortillas and beans and salsa?  That sounds so good!  Is it on your blog?"
"Uh, probably."

Good thing I didn't place any wagers on that because she called my bluff.  "I can't find it anywhere."  Oops.

Had I really not posted it anywhere?  In nearly 4 years of sharing recipes here with you?  I seriously couldn't believe it.

Couldn't believe it because it's one of my favorite meals ever.  I say meal because I've had this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Usually, believe it or not, dinner.

And we have it often.  Like, at least twice a month.  I love it because it requires nothing exotic and uses items we almost always have in the fridge and pantry.  In fact, I think it's looked slightly different every single time.

What's that you say?  No black beans in sight?  I've used kidney and pinto beans, which yielded yummy results.  Even leftover ground meat of any kind would be tasty.

No cheddar cheese?  Any kind will do.  Leftover Mexican or Italian cheese blends.  Even parmesan and goat cheese have worked in a pinch.

Out of tortillas?  Oh, that's no problem at all.  I've used toasted bread, sandwich thins, English muffins, and bagels.  They may not be authentic, but they sure are delicious.  I've even done something so wild as to using a bed of baby spinach in place of the tortillas.

(I'll be honest with you.  I prefer any bread product to the greens, but what they lack in comforting carbohydrates, they make up for in vitamins and minerals and an elevated feeling of health.  To each her own, I say!)

However you have your huevos, I promise that you'll love 'em!  It's such a filling and cheerful-looking, rock star of a meal, and even more so considering it takes so little effort to make.  If you haven't had them before, they might even change your (food) life!

Loaded with lean protein from the eggs and beans, healthy fats and fiber, zippy and fresh salsa, and melted cheese that marries with the happenstance sauce of salsa and runny egg yolks.  So unbelievably delicious!

I know I sometimes talk a big game of luxury ingredients or high-end restaurants, but this meal comforts and satisfies me like few others can.  And, when something is so good, time and time again, I'd say it better have its own blog post.  Wouldn't you?


Two years ago: Scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, and smashed avocado toasts
Three years ago: Shrimp and green vegetables with peanut sauce


Huevos Rancheros
-serves 2

A few notes: As mentioned above, make this your own.  Other great additions include diced avocado, sour cream, or even hot sauce!

4 6-inch corn tortillas
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 eggs
1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup salsa

Heat skillet (nonstick, if you have it) over medium.  Arrange two tortillas, overlapping slightly, in pan.  Allow to warm and become slightly golden at edges.  Flip and do the same to the other side.  Sprinkle with cheese and heat until melted.  Plate tortillas.

Coat skillet with nonstick spray and cook two eggs to your liking (I go with overeasy, or "dippy").  Place eggs on top of cheesy tortillas.  Top with 1/2 cup beans and salsa.  Enjoy immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment