Monday, June 3, 2013

Baked doughnuts with chocolate glaze


I may not possess the yard sale/antiquing gene that Matt and Laura have -- let alone, the patience -- but I do have one thing they do not: a doughnut pan! (...and delicious doughnuts, obviously, but I'll get to that.)

A few weeks ago, the three amigos explored the Mexican War Streets neighborhood of Pittsburgh for a community-wide yard and sidewalk sale.  Laura and Matt were totally in their element, criss-crossing their way around the streets, being attracted to one shiny object after another.  To their credit, they do have an eye for junk treasures and spotted cool stuff like vintage hamburger signs and first edition Stephen King books.

I, on the other hand, was having a metaphorical bird on the inside.  You see, I was riding a high from a major clean-out that Matt and I completed a few days earlier.  We filled three large bags with clothes, books, and other unused items destined for Goodwill.  Closets and cabinets were freshly organized, and I felt so light and rejuvenated!

So, you can surmise that this girl wasn't exactly ecstatic about the idea of cruising for knick-knacks that would once again clutter our newly-organized apartment.

But, I sucked it up and went along for the ride.  I even played along and took $50 out at the ATM like I planned on spending it.  Pffffffffft!  Right.

For most of the morning, I enjoyed a mental vacation.  I basked in the sunshine and daydreamed as we walked, taking time to admire the unique houses and occasionally utter an "ooh" or "ahh" in support of my companions.  I even proved useful by lending the eager shoppers the reusable bags I brought along for the trip.  I was prepared, y'all.  Once a Girl Scout, always a Girl Scout!

At the very last stop, Laura eyed a small table she liked.  While she examined that, I casually surveyed the rest of the items and spotted a gem: a Wilton nonstick doughnut pan in like new condition.  The price?  A whopping $1, advertised on a circular fluorescent green sticker. Yes, please, and thank you, nice lady who sold me her unloved and, thus, pristine doughnut pan.

That was my only purchase of the morning.  The other two did "so well" (their words, not mine); so well that I was forced to cozy up to a small table in the backseat for the remainder of the day.  How did I end up sharing the backseat with someone else's purchase?  Because I'm a petite pushover, apparently :)

A happy petite pushover, to boot.  One bite of a fluffy homemade doughnut was all it took to make me forget about the pile of books and second telescope that found their way into our apartment.  The dash of cinnamon totally made the flavor pop and the glaze?  Get outta here.  Thick and chocolatey, just like Dunkin'... or, dare I say, better!  And, there was no frying mess to clean up after making these, either.  I have a feeling I'm going to be making doughnuts much more often in the coming months -- I'll be sure to post recipes!

I could've eaten the entire batch, but I found it in my heart to share with my junk-loving friend and husband.  Friends don't let friends go without reusable bags or fresh homemade doughnuts, you see :)


Three years ago: Avocado, corn, mozzarella, tomato, zucchini salad


Cake Doughnuts with Chocolate Glaze
(adapted slightly from this recipe)

1 cup all-purpose flour
6 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
Sprinkles, optional

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Coat doughnut pan liberally with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.  In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  Add milk, egg, vanilla, and butter, stirring to combine.  Transfer batter to a resealable quart-size plastic sandwich bag.  Seal the bag and snip off one corner.  Pipe the batter and distribute evenly among the six doughnut wells.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until doughnuts are puffy and spring back when touched.  Allow to cool in pan slightly before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely.

While doughnuts are cooling, prepare glaze.  In a small bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 1/2 tablespoons milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until smooth.  Add more sugar or milk to adjust thickness of glaze.  (I like a thick glaze so I added a smidge more sugar.)  Dip doughnuts into glaze and invert on wire rack.  Top with sprinkles, if using, and allow glaze to set and harden slightly.  Doughnuts are best enjoyed the day they are baked!

No comments:

Post a Comment