Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Leafy monogram letter autumn door decoration

...to jump at the chance to employ ridiculous seasonal puns :)  But seriously, just wait until you see this super easy craft project.  It'll have you falling for autumn, too.

It seems like I always get the crafting itch around this time of year.  After three straight months of using all my brainpower to decide between ice cream and frozen yogurt, I'm ready for a new Sunday afternoon ritual.  Sipping a mug of hot chocolate.  Planting myself on the living room floor in front of me while watching Sunday football.  A large pot of soup simmering away on the stovetop.  All while working on a creative project.  Fall perfection, I'm telling you!

 

Those oversized bins of brightly-colored faux gourds and straw garlands in front of the local Michael's and JoAnn Fabrics stores seem like they're calling my name.  Since I still have the pumpkin wreath I made two years ago, I bypassed those bins and went straight for the fake leaves.  I spotted an easy monogram project on (where else?) Pinterest a few weeks ago and have been itching to get to work.

Here's what you'll need (and all for under $10 if you already have the glue gun):
  • large wooden or paper mache letter
  • silk leaves of various colors
  • hot glue gun & glue sticks
  • twine or ribbon, for hanging

1. Begin by gluing leaves onto the front of the letter and wrapping them around edges as best as possible.  I did this to provide a more colorful base than the original white so I didn't have to worry about covering every single square inch with leaves later.  Use minimal hot glue and be sure to work quickly -- that stuff dries fast!



2. Once you've covered most of the letter's front face and edges (don't worry about the back -- it won't show once it's hung), it's time to attach leaves in a more rustic fashion.  Press and hold each leaf for a few seconds before continuing onto the next one.  Use as many or as few as you like.  There aren't any strict rules here, peeps!



3. Once finished, allow to dry for 5 to 10 minutes just to ensure the glue has set.


4. Using any color ribbon, rikrak, or twine, make a loose loop, attaching wherever you can on the letter, and tie a knot to secure it.  That's it!  If you prefer a more polished look, feel free to attach the ribbon or twine to the back of the letter with hot glue.

Voila!  A new autumnal decoration for our front door.  And, believe it or not, Matt was almost as excited as I was about this.  Though I think his reasoning centered around the addition of a Z to our decor (not to be confused with this Z, Pittsburgh locals).

One project down, a bazillion Pinterest-inspired projects to go...


One year ago: Apple muffins
Two years ago: Roasted fall vegetables with bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment