Friday, April 20, 2012

Fast Friday: Two ingredient ice cream


Re-shop-ping

Have you heard of it?  I define reshopping as the phenomenon that takes place when one returns home from a shopping trip and unpacks the bags of new goodies.  Depending on how long the trip lasted, you may discover items you'd forgotten about by the end of the day.  You'll be all "Yessssssssssss!  I'm so glad I got [insert items here]!"

One look at my counter, and I was all, "Eww... there's nothing fun in there."  Then, after some thought, I was all, "Well, that's a lot of food, and it's really healthy."

But wait!  There was one more bag.  What could be in it?

Hooraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!  Sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, and the cutest tiniest lil' Reese's cups you've ever seen.

I had truly forgotten about those three items, probably because they're almost never on my grocery list.  Suddenly, I was all, "Good job, Katy. Well done."

But, you see, I wasn't quite done.

While I could've just eaten the bag of mini Reese's and called it a very fine day, I did not.

But, just so we're clear, I could have.

Instead, I whipped up that cream.  Whipped it good. 

Then I folded in the magical combination of sweetened condensed milk and the Reese's and poured the whole mixture into a container and popped it into the freezer.

If Reese's cups don't sing to you like they do to me, use whatever sings a sweet song to you.  Crumbled cupcakes with the icing, too... cookie dough... M & Ms or chopped candy bars... fresh strawberries or cherries.

I bet you're wondering if fruit sings.  It does sing but it sounds a bit like Cinderella and her mice.  Meanwhile, Reese's cups sound like Kelly Clarkson did when I was at her concert in the 8th row.  As you could guess, Kelly Clarkson drowned out that wimpy princess and sent her little rodents scurrying back to their hiding places in the wall.

Anyway, 6 very long hours later at approximately 9:57 o'clock at night, I scurried to the kitchen, ready for ice cream, whether or not it was ready for me.   It was still a bit soft in the middle, but I wasn't complaining.  Ideal for late night scooping after a hard day of... sitting on the couch.  Ahem.

Hey, it was a Sunday.  Day of rest, folks.

A few spoonfuls first to test for quality.  And I was all, "Ohmyfriggingosh, this ice cream is awesome!  And I made it!"  From ingredients I'd forgotten about only a few hours earlier.  Weeeeee :)

Let's hear it for re-shopping, ladies and gentlemen!

And then I retrieved a proper scoop.  And I was all, "I'll get a small bowl so I don't overdo it since it's late."  Are you surprised then that I filled the bowl way past its capacity?

I told myself a full bowl of ice cream made for better pictures.  Mm hmm.

I couldn't believe the ice cream was so unbelievably... heck, criminally delicious!  Minimal effort and maximum flavor.  Without a doubt the easiest from-scratch dessert I've ever made.  Anyone can do it!

Especially you.  You should make it soon.  This weekend.  Today.  Now.  And while it's chilling, go shopping.  Then come home and go reshopping in your freezer for this ice cream.  It's how life should be lived, you see :)


One year ago: Spinach, onion, and bacon frittata
Two years ago: Classic cheesecake


Two ingredient Ice Cream
(adapted from Kevin & Amanda's recipe)
-makes about 8-10 servings (or about 5 cups)

A few notes: Use any mix-in you like, as much or as little much-er!

14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups heavy cream
40 Reese’s Mini Peanut Butter Cups, quartered (or mix-in of your choice)

In a large bowl, whisk or stir together the sweetened condensed milk and the peanut butter cups. In the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk mixture, until thoroughly combined. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the freezer for a minimum of 6 hours but preferably overnight. When fully chilled, scoop and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment