Friday, April 27, 2012

Fast Friday: Sausage with tomatoes and goat cheese


As an amateur food blogger (even that seems too fancy to describe my hobby), I'm constantly learning new tricks each time I chronicle my adventures with food.  For example, the most flattering lighting is natural afternoon light.  And the best plates to showcase foods of all kinds are white.  Even better, sometimes a dish is best showcased when shot in its cooking vessel -- I love me some cast iron skillet pictures.

While the adventures are fun, they certainly don't represent every single snack, meal, or baked good that comes out of my kitchen and is devoured by yours truly.  There are recipe repeats and dishes so simple that calling it a recipe would be a crime that don't merit sharing.  Even more probable is that I consciously chose not to photograph the meal our of sheer laziness.

I'm only human, after all.

But, sometimes, in my lazy rebellion, I curse myself for not having my camera within reach.  For not planning ahead.  For not having faith in what turned out to be the best non-recipe I've made for as long as I can remember.

For not taking pictures of the gorgeous ingredients as they were prepped.  Bias-cut fresh sausage!  The brightest ruby red grape tomatoes yet! Sizzling balsamic vinegar!

Thankfully, I had the "d'oh!" moment I desperately needed and ran to get my camera before Matt dug into his plate.  Not surprisingly, I had already dug into mine.  Poor guy.  One minute, it's, "Dinner's ready, hon!" and the next it's, "Waaaaaaaaaaait!  Don't touch that yet!"

Finally, we ate.  And we oooed and ahhed.  The creamy goat cheese had melted slightly nestled among the hot sausage and sweet tomatoes.  Dynamite combination, let me tell you!

This may have become my new go-to summer dinner.  Quick, inexpensive, and so over the top good that you won't believe a lack of planning could taste so good.

I mean, there was planning.  I planned to not plan.  If that makes sense. Planning to be spontaneous is so much fun.  Just another thing I've learned.

Next up on my list of things to learn is how to not get between a man and a his dinner plate.  Any tips?


Two years ago: Lemon zucchini with thyme and parmesan; white cake with strawberry buttercream


Sausage and Tomatoes with Goat Cheese
-serves 2

1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 links of any sausage (I used 1 sweet chicken for myself and 1 spicy chorizo for Matt)
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 ounces goat cheese

Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.  Slice sausage on a bias into half-inch thick rounds and add to hot skillet along with garlic.  Cook 6 to 8 minutes on one side, flip and cook 4 to 5 minutes on remaining side.  Add balsamic vinegar -- pan will sizzle and pop as the alcohol evaporates.  Toss sausage with vinegar and remove from heat.  Add tomatoes and toss to combine.  Divide among plates and top with crumbled goat cheese.  Serve immediately and be wowed!

No comments:

Post a Comment