Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Single serving egg-less chocolate chip cookie dough

The morning after a fresh snowfall... I love it!  The city is uncharacteristically quiet since the white stuff seems to muffle anything and everything.  There is a sense of peace on my walk to work in the morning.  And the snow is still, well, white.  To me, there is nothing grosser than the gray black slushy matter that takes its place.  But anyway, for now I'll enjoy the still-growing picturesque blanket on top of Pittsburgh and tell you about my very cozy evening watching it fall from the sky.

At work, the impending storm was all we could discuss.  Tirelessly checking the weather websites and radar maps.  By one thirty, the snow had begun to fall and anyone in the office with a healthy commute was high-tailing it out of there by 3.  The stuff was falling (and sticking) quickly and word was there were already accidents and traffic jams all over the city.  I calmly stayed until quitting time, headed to the gym, squealed a little at the sight of covered sidewalks, and pumped out a good workout (still need a new playlist).  I really wanted to make a 180 and head home for sweatpants, but my sense of health prevailed.

When I came out around 5:30, this is what the previously bare sidewalks and roads were covered.

My ill-equipped phone camera didn't capture the millions of falling snowflakes, so you'll just have to trust me.

I hurried home, cleaned up, got into sweats, and had some quiche (spinach, bacon, and white cheddar, if you're looking for a variation to try) and broccoli for dinner.  You won't believe what I did next... or maybe you will.  I opened my curtains and just sat on my bed and watched the snow fall.  Watched and marveled and watched some more.  I felt so warm and cozy.

Then... it happened.  Out of nowhere I got a mad craving for carbs.  Baking!  Reminds me of last year's snowpocalypse when I baked cookies, bread, and such for 6 straight days until I literally ran out of ingredients.  Cookies.  Chocolate chip cookies!  Not tomorrow, not next week, NOW!

And then I remembered seeing a recipe for single serve chocolate chip cookie dough.  Even better!  Not that I don't love a warm straight out of the oven cookie, but how often do you find that you're more interested in the dough than the finished product?  Makes me fondly think of the time one of my my college roommates drug me to the grocery store so she could buy a tube of cookie dough and, on the bus on the way back to our apartment, tore open the package with her teeth to eat some.  Classic Rachel moment.  :)

Anyway, this cookie dough recipe is perfect for raw consumption because it contains no eggs.  None whatsoever.  Just the stuff you see above plus milk.  This dough is made with one purpose -- to satisfy your hankering for cookie dough -- so there is no need for ingredients that bind or leaven.  It takes 5 minutes to throw together and involves no advance prep work.

Mash butter, stir in remaining ingredients, chill briefly and devour.

Oh my gosh, this tastes like the real thing!  Sweet and buttery, smooth with chocolate morsels.  Totally satisfied my insane and impatient craving for dessert.  And perfectly proportioned for little old me.  That's not to say you can't double or triple this... you know, if you're sharing.  Whatever you decide, you won't be disappointed.  Time to meet your maker, cookie dough! :)


One Year Ago: Green monster smoothie (missed them so much I made one last weekend!)


Single Serve Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
(with some changes from here)

A few notes: The original called for a little vanilla extract, but if you know anything about uncooked vanilla, it's very alcoholic tasting -- gross.  So, I omitted that.  I also added a dash of salt to cut the sweetness and used equal parts white and brown sugar for depth of flavor.  Just because it's scaled way down and not being baked doesn't mean it shouldn't be delicious.  Finally, I chilled it in the freezer for a few minutes just to stiffen the dough slightly.

1 1/2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar (double this if you don't have brown sugar)
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
Dash of salt
1 Tablespoon milk
1 Tablespoon chocolate chips

In a small bowl, mash the butter with a fork until softened.  Add flour, sugars, and salt and continue to fork ingredients together until uniform and crumbly.  Add milk and blend until uniform.  Stir in chocolate chips.  And...

Just kidding, it's finished!  Enjoy your health hazard-free cookie dough!

2 comments:

  1. Finally, the real purpose of cookie dough: to be eaten raw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tried this, YUM! mine ended up a little runny though, so i added a bit more flour. :)

    ReplyDelete