Monday, February 8, 2010

Blizzard recap

Whew!  Before I say anything else, I want to say that I hope everyone is safe, warm, and with power and food.  That being said, I love love love all this snow.  The city is beautiful and, provided that you don't need to be anywhere, this was a perfect weekend to be a homebody and a lover of the outdoors all at the same time. It also helps that my boss sent out an email late last night telling us to stay home today.  Woo!  First snow day in 7 years :)

Friday I got in a good gym workout before heading home to hunker down for the storm -- one of those times I was very thankful I live within walking distance of my office.  Did some reading and organizing and made my new most favorite salad for dinner: sliced poached chicken breast, baby spinach and romaine lettuce, fresh mushrooms, dried cherries, a bit of shaved Parmesan cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette.  I guess I'm loving that sweet and salty combination lately, but man was it satisfying.

I woke up on Saturday thinking I was going to make a trip down to the Waterfront, but since I wasn't willing to do the journey on foot, I was stuck in Oakland.  Thanks to free workouts on digital cable, I got in two workouts: pilates and yoga.  Train wreck of a hockey game aside, my walk in the snow later was awesome.  It was very apocalyptic outside: no cars, people just walking in the streets, all of the normal city sounds muffled... and so so beautiful.

That tree was so weighed down by snow that the normal 8+ feet clearance over the sidewalk was down to about 3 1/2 feet.

Sunday it was time to bake, but I had to limit myself since I was down to only two sticks of butter.  (Yes, two is as low as it gets here.  I go through about four pounds of butter every month or so.  Two is bare bones, people.)  Blueberry muffins and after an exhilarating yet disappointing hockey game later, I took my first crack (no pun intended) at the classic snickerdoodle cookie.  Look for that tomorrow!

How did you spend your snowy weekend?  Napping?  Watching movies?  Sledding?  And, DC area people, how much snow did you actually get?  I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment