Friday, March 30, 2012

Fast Friday: Mint chocolate chip cookies


What if I told you that I had a cookie recipe that will appeal to everyone, from the "I don't bake" bakers to the self-proclaimed kitchen masters?

The correct answer should be, "Why, I'd get in my car and head to the grocery story to purchase the ingredients immediately, Katy."  

This cookie recipe is also for all of the wonderful folks somewhere in between those two extremes.  Especially the people who, when they want something sweet, want it rightthisminute!  This edition of Fast Friday is for you!

Oh, what wonderful young grasshoppers you are :)

Speaking of grasshoppers...

No, not the moving kind that will, according to some, take over the world someday.

The kind that when paired with words like "pie" or "cake" indicates the best kind of marriage between flavors in desserts: chocolate and mint.  The kind that involves a healthy dose of Andes chocolate mints.  I love that the word "indulgence" is printed right on the front of the bag.  I couldn't agree more.

I first shared this recipe with you around St. Patrick's Day as a potential treat to make but was, um, a little delinquent in my own baking endeavors.  Blah blah, it's Lent and I gave up sweets on the weekdays so I indulge on the weekend but have to get rid of the evidence immediately so I don't tempt myself during the week, yadda yadda yadda.

You don't come here to learn of my nonsensical Protestant sacrifices.  You come here for delicious recipes.  And this is what you're going to get!

Almost too easy to be a recipe, but so addictive and yummy that the world must know of these cookies.  And fast, folks.  Just put a stick of butter out before you leave for work in the morning, and it'll be ready for use when you get home from "the gym" or however you want to justify your baking.  If you need some reasons, I can provide you with plenty.  My dad always said I should've been a lawyer.

(Right now my lawyer friends are laughing.  They can be so mean (or, right) sometimes.)

The dough comes together in under 5 minutes.  5 minutes!

Oh, and did I mention that it's pretty?  Green is my most favorite color.

Don't be fooled by the vibrant cookie dough -- looking at this picture, you'd swear they were scoops of mint chocolate chip ice cream, right?!

Even without the mint extract, the cookies were perfectly minty from the Andes chunks.  I loved having regular semi-sweet chips in the mix, too, to balance the sweetness of the sugar cookie-based dough.

Enough shop talk.  These were the easiest cookies I've ever made.  Definitely the fastest, too.  And maybe the quickest to disappear.

You should share these.  Because they're so delicious.  And because you might start out with the intention of plating seven cookies to photograph and end up eating the whole thing.

Like I said, please share these for your health :)  Just know that I'm available for hire if you need more arguments against sharing them, though.


One year ago: The best cinnamon rolls in the world; Coconut chicken

Two years ago: Shortcut vegetable pot pie


Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
(adapted from Betty Crocker)
-makes roughly 36 cookies

A quick note: I had a terrible time finding mint extract and finally chose to omit it without any negative consequences.  If you're doing this, I'd alter the ratio of mint chips and semisweet chips, using all mint or more mint than 1 cup.

1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz.) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon mint (NOT peppermint) extract (optional)
6-8 drops green food coloring
1 egg
1 cup Andes (creme de menthe) baking chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, extract, food coloring and egg until soft dough forms.  Fold in the mint and chocolate chips.

Using small cooking scoop, drop a generous tablespoon of dough 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set.  Cool 3 minutes on cookie sheet before removing to wire rack to cool completely.  Enjoy!  Store in sealed container at room temperature for up to 1 week.

No comments:

Post a Comment