Thursday, April 15, 2010

Restaurant review: Coco's Cupcake Cafe


Coco's Cupcake Cafe in Shadyside, Pittsburgh.  This place has long been on my list of cupcake haunts to sample, but every time I made an attempt to satisfy my sweet tooth here, the shop would be closed (apparently I get cupcake cravings on Monday, when Coco's is closed).  My lovely dinner hostess on Tuesday bought these for dessert: vanilla with chocolate buttercream and chocolate with vanilla buttercream.  I love the look of the icing -- very original and much prettier than the traditional shapeless blob of icing atop a miniature cake.  The cakes were both moist, while the chocolate flavor was mild and the vanilla flavor was a bit bland.  Thankfully, the vanilla cupcake's saving grace was the icing, which tasted like hot chocolate.  Yum!  The icing was very smooth and not nearly as sweet as traditional American buttercream, so perhaps a bit of a Swiss meringue buttercream?  The cupcakes are a bit smaller than other rival cupcakes in the city that are much larger for the same price of $2.50.  Overall, a slightly above average cupcake, but hey, when have I ever not finished a cupcake? :)



[such a pretty plate!]

[last picture before consumption commenced]

Where do you get cupcakes in your city, Pittsburgh or elsewhere?  I'm open to suggestions!

Coco's Cupcake Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Wow...your photography skills are REALLY developing :)

    ReplyDelete